Kribensis Pair - 30g

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Immyb, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ImmybValued MemberMember

was wondering whether a pair of kribensis would do well with 10 diamond tetras as dither fish and 8 kuhli loaches in a 30 gallon? Or maybe a small pleco? Let me know

2. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and PlantsWell Known MemberMember

If your Kribs breed they will not tolerate any fish in the tank. I breed Kribs and keep them in a species only tank. They have put my Congos, Plecos, Rainbows into 1 corner of the tank. This is especially more so when they have fry.

3. OP
    OP
    I

ImmybValued MemberMember

Interesting, I usually read that dither fish are fine as long as they are a high level in the tank and there's enough territorial areas for the kribs. So you would only put a single pair in a 30g?

4. OP
    OP
    I

ImmybValued MemberMember

@TexasDomer i see you have kribs in your picture, do you second this advice? I don't want a murder scene if they start breeding.
    Thanks ☺️

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I have a different, more peaceful species of krib. They should be fine with dither fish, but I might choose something smaller than diamonds and something that stays in the upper regions. And I would leave out the kuhlis. But a pair with dither fish in this size tank should be fine! Just give them lots of caves and plants and you shouldn't have an issue with the dither fish.

6. OP
    OP
    I

ImmybValued MemberMember

Oh what species? They look beautiful! How about 15 lemon tetras and two kribs in 30 gal, I think a nice big shoal would look nice

7. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and PlantsWell Known MemberMember

My Kribs when they have fry will actively look for fish to chase. And if any fish had crossed their perimeter they would chase the fish into the corner. I have regular Kribs. Every tank is different and i had my Kribs in a 20high.

Good Luck!

8. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

My breeding Kribs occupied 5ft of a 6ft tank and kept six Clown Loaches and other assorted dither fish in the final foot for the duration! Do not underestimate! What awesome parents they were! What effort they expended! The pinnacle of my fishkeeping career!

As you can tell I'm full of admiration for the humble Krib.

9. OP
    OP
    I

ImmybValued MemberMember

I love how feisty they are, and the female's little red belly is so cute! I'll let you know how it alll goes down when they decide to start a family;)

10. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

She has P. kribensis, to answer @Immyb's question.

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Yep, like Anders said, P. kribensis (formerly P. taeniatus 'Moliwe').

I might still go with something smaller than lemons, something that may be perceived as less of a threat. Maybe one of the smaller danio species?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice