Kribensis just ate fry???

Thomasflynn15

I noticed free-swimming krib fry today in my 20g. Both parents were doing a good job protecting their fry from the other inhabitants (just 3 platies and 2 swordtails). I had to reach into my tank and remove the breeder box container containing some platy fry because I needed it for my saltwater tank. I noticed a significant amount of krib fry missing after I checked the cave they live in by moving it and looking under it. A few fry came out but mom and dad are all of them. Do physical disturbances in the tank cause them to eat their fry?

Leeman75

I noticed free-swimming krib fry today in my 20g. Both parents were doing a good job protecting their fry from the other inhabitants (just 3 platies and 2 swordtails). I had to reach into my tank and remove the breeder box container containing some platy fry because I needed it for my saltwater tank. I noticed a significant amount of krib fry missing after I checked the cave they live in by moving it and looking under it. A few fry came out but mom and dad are all of them. Do physical disturbances in the tank cause them to eat their fry?
I'm relatively new to Krib fry myself as I am only on my second spawn with mine. My fit batch was about a dozen and they started disappearing after about 10 days. I then removed all the other fish in the tank. The 2nd bat ch had about 50 at first, but they slowly dwindled down and now there are 3 left. Granted, it's been about 3 weeks and the 3 are getting good sized, but it just seems to be something that happens. I think the key is keeping the parents well fed. That and make sure that the fry have places to hide in the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
yukondog
Replies
Views
ktorg
Replies
Views
mbkemp
20 Gallon Tank Cichlid Fry Help
Replies