kribensis eggs

deon junior

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
hi all
i am very excited to about my pair of kribs who have layed eggs for the first time! it is in my 40gl community tank but the eggs are in a very safe place (behind rocks right at the back of the tank) and the parents are guarding them as well. what can i feed them? ive heard that in established tanks they dont need to specifically be fed? is this true?

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the eggs!! A couple days after the fry go freeswimming they will be ready for food. In well established tanks they don't NEED food but it is best to feed them.

skjl47

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello; I have raised several batches of kribensis thou not in a community tank.
One method of feeding fry I have used is to make an infusoria culture. At the first sign of eggs or breeding I get a few lettuice leaves and boil them in about a gallon of water. I put the boiled leaves and water in a container open to the air. In a few days the stuff should be cloudy and smelly. (This is when being a bachelor is handy.) I then can pour a small amount of the infusoria culture into the fry tank a couple of times a day leaves as well.
I usually have used a separate breeding setup for kribensis and will have the tank(often a 30 gallon) about half full durring the courting and breeding. I can then add various foods over a few days and an occasional gallon or so of fresh water as well as the infusoria culture.
This way the water can be kept somewhat tolerable and I do not have to try to siphon any water while fry are very small. Kribensis fry are somewhat larger by the time they are free swimming than the fry of many other fish so there is less chance of getting them with siphon.
You may also want to place some sort of screen over the intakes of any power filters in use. A sponge filter is a good thing for a breeding tank.
A mature sponge filter is also a source of fry food. I have observed kribensis fry grazing on the sponge filters I kept in their breeding tank.
Another quicker way of feeding is to take some canned sweet peas straight from the can (uncooked). I squeeze the pea to release the soft insides from the shell. The soft inside plant material will be bite sized for the fry. The parents and most other fish will take them also. The pea skins can be dropped in as well and will be consumed over time and seem to generate some infusoria as they soften.
If you happen to have an old coffeee grinder it can be cleaned and used to reduce dry foods to a fine powder which is useful mainly for fry smaller than kribensis. I have one with adjustable grinding disks that was too weak to grind coffee beans well so was re-purposed to make powdered food. Some caution is needed to avoid burning the food with too much grinding.
A simple quick way to make small food is to crush food pellets with plires. Shrimpellets work well.

The kribensis parents will likely try to take care of the fry when they become free swimming. The have hearded fry around in a group for me. The fry that stray may well be bite sized for other fish in a community tank and will likely be picked off. It may be that many, if not all. the fry will be lost. This is a guess as I have not raised any in a community tank.

It is not uncommon for a breeding pair of kribensis to fail at their first batch. Try to not be dissapointed as they will try again before long and tend to do better and have larger broods with experience.

Should you get a number of fry to around an inch there will be the issue of how to house them. Females are less of an issue than the males. The males will start to become territotial and a large group will not do well in a single tank. Should the fry do well it may be prudent to check out possible places to sell or give the fry away.
Good luck

deon junior

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
cheers everyone! hopefully some of them survive!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom