Kribensis Colors?

1. Brokenshadows34

Brokenshadows34 Valued Member Member

I've had a pair of kribs for a couple months now. They are both nice-looking adults - not quite fully-grown but certainly close to being so.

They're in a planted 45 gallon with a few (very peaceful and calm) female bettas and some small angelfish, as well as one male guppy. Everyone gets along perfectly - the kribs are the most aggressive of them all, but the chases are only mildly territorial: short lived and and not intended to harm. The male and the female never fight, and always swim together.

I'm not sure if these are breeding colors or simply the look of happy kribs, but it seems as though the pair constantly seeks to amaze anyone watching with their coloring.

The female's belly turns bright red, the yellow on her body and fins really begins to pop, and the rest of her body becomes almost black. The male's black and yellow also get much darker (his "yellow" is more like a fiery orange) and pop against the grey markings, but he doesn't become as dark as the female. His stomach also turns faintly pink.

I am sure I have a male and a female, and I'm not necessarily looking to breed them, but their behavior is certainly interesting, and these colors are breathtaking. I'd say that they display like this 80% of the time, but I've never seen eggs laid though the female does become plumper on occasion.

I was just wondering if it was common for kribs to show these awesome colors as often as mine do! Regardless, I'm hoping it means I'm doing something right as their caretaker!

Thanks.

2. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

My female kribensis flaunts her colors the same way, her belly gets really dark at night it seems. Her behavior and colors have me thinking she wants to make babies, so I've just reserved a male at my LFS that I'm picking up Saturday. He's much smaller than her though so I'm not sure how it'll work out. So I don't have any real answers for you, just wanted to share a similar observation. It also seems like she darkens her colors when she's defending her spot in the tank.

I hear kribs are great parents and really awesome to observe their breeding habits. Good luck!!

3. OP
    OP
    Brokenshadows34

I hope the new male works well with your female and that there aren't any major territorial/aggression issues. Are you planning on trying to breed them, or are you simply going to let nature take its course if the two of them wish?

A few minutes ago I actually saw the male gently nip at the female's side and she vibrated/shook her whole body for a second or two. It surprised me for a moment, I'd never seen that before. Do you know what that is?

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

That's courting behavior. Do they have any caves available, or objects that she can dig under to make a cave? It certainly sounds like they want to spawn.

I've never seen Kribs that were healthy showing anything but bright colors, but the colors really pop when they are courting.

5. OP
    OP
    Brokenshadows34

Yes, they do have a cave under a rock and there are several "caves" made from plant cover that they move between. I often find them both picking around at those spots. However, they haven't quite claimed a particular place as their own.

6. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

How is the happy couple?? :)

My "male" turned out to be female when I got to the store to buy it!! So I'm still on the hunt. I didn't have any big plans for breeding them, but it seems like my female had plans of her own so I just figured I'd introduce a male and see what happens. Right now there's still enough room in the tank that I think they could establish a nesting area without hurting the other fish (provided no one gets too nosy), and since having the one they're now my favorite cichlid, their little faces are just so cute so I wouldn't mind having a few more around!!

Cant wait to see your babies!!! :D

7. OP
    OP
    Brokenshadows34

Sorry for the delay in responding, it's been a busy couple of days! And I'm sorry your male turned out to be female. I hope your hunt for him proves fruitful soon!

I recently bought some new plants and rocks and I'm in the process of revamping the aquarium decor right now. I'm trying to create caves and hiding places for the kribs, and the two of them seem very happy about it! I'm not intentionally trying to breed them either, but perhaps they will if they claim a spot as their own.

I wish you luck in finding a handsome male to complete your pair!