40 Gallon Tank Kribensis and elephant nose questions.

Harlebleondora

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
HI all, I have a few questions concerning kribensis and elephant nose fish.

1. I am coming to the end of socking my 40 gallon community and want to finish it with a pair of dwarf cichlids. I have picked the kribensis because of it's coloration and hardiness. I will be buying some from my lfs. My question is will they be compatible with my sterbaI corydoras, black neon tetras, harlequin rasboras and BN pleco? I don't mind if there's a bit of territorial aggression, but don't want anyone getting hurt.

2. At the lfs I work at we have a 6ft (125 gal) display tank currently stocked with a common pleco and a fully grown five bar cichlid. We want to make the tank more interesting as the five bar hides most of the day and the pleco rarely moves. While looking through our catalogs we found elephant nose fish. Very interesting looking little fellas and would definitely catch the eye of the passersby. But would it be compatible?

Thank you!

Claire Bear

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I will just say that I have two-was three of the African Butterfly Fish and they are rather boring imo. Cool to know that you own but unless your tank has a line of vision looking down, you will never see them. Also, they will eat your tetra-at least if they are small. They are also jumpers and will leap out and meet their maker-I lost one as I was doing a water change and didn't notice him until later that day.

If you want peaceful for the 125g, I might suggest getting some larger sized fish to add interest!
I know nothing of the elephant nose but they do look interesting!
Good luck stocking!

OP
Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I meant the african butterfly for the 125. Will not get them then because it doesn't have a lid and is very tall. (Sits on a tall cabinet)

ricmcc

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe that all of the elephantnose species are both very sensitive to water chemistry, and extremely shy. By this I mean that I would keep them in a species tank, rather than a community one, as they compete poorly for food. Although if you keep about half a dozen, there will be some chasing going on, but almost never injury; plus, kept in a group, you are far more likely to see them..
The kribs, however, seem a great choice for your tank.
Just my opinion, tho, best of luck, rick

New Threads