Krib turned almost black!

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Amglynn05, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Amglynn05New MemberMember

My male kribensis has turned darker in color and is almost black. He and the female have been guarding their territory/cave for days, but I don't see any eggs or fry... Any thoughts on the dark color? All of the information I can find note the male's color fading while spawning, not darkening. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438572948.291886.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438572958.523674.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Thai Aquarium ownerWell Known MemberMember

The male will sometimes turn a darker colour to act as a deterent for any potential treat from another fish.
    You should see some babies about 8/10 days after the female laid her eggs.
    Sometimes, if this is the first brood, the pair will eat the eggs or young, but will go on to breed successfully for future mateings.

3. VAFishValued MemberMember

Just noticed the other day that my male has gotten really dark as well. I don't have any other kribs in the tank though.

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Do you have a dark substrate/background?

5. VAFishValued MemberMember

Nope it's actually white!

6. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello,

Fish can change colors according to their moods. As long as the fins are not clamped, the eyes are clear, no visible signs of disease or parasites, having regular bowel movements, the fish is probably just trying to blend in to its environment or as mentioned above, breeding purposes.

Ken

7. Amglynn05New MemberMember

Just a quick update...

I have fry!!! ❤️ ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1440035402.456430.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice