Krib Tankmates

Greengirl87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I was recently offered a kribensis. The only tanks I have available are a 20 and 29 gallon. Neither is cycled yet, and so neither is stocked yet. They were going to be a temp home for some fish I have in a 37 gallon, until I can get a 55 cycled for them. However, I think I can just find a temporary place to put the 37. So now I have a 20 and 29 gallon and no fish ideas. Well, I think I may upgrade my betta to the 20 gallon from his 5.5 gallon. I'm so tired of the frequent cleaning and water changes on that lil tank. But then I still have a 29 I can use. So when offered this krib, I start researching. It looks like a 29 gallon is a fine size for 1 of them. I def just want one, I have no interest in dealing with fry. And they are beautiful fish, but I've seen nothing but stories of their aggression. It looks as though the females are actually more aggressive than males? Is that right? Regardless of male or female, what fish could I keep with it in a 29 gallon? I saw some suggest barbs. Barbs are cool, and I'm fine with that as a schooling fish. But are there any bottom dwellers that would work? I love my albino cory cats, and was hoping I could get more but a different variety. Maybe salt and pepper or bronze. But assuming a school of mid dwellers and bottom dwellers would get along with krib, would all this be too much for a 29 gallon tank? Tia for any help with this.

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 29 is fine for one kribensis or even two. It's true that the females are more aggressive than males. I don't think you'll have any issues with bottom dwellers until the kribensis begin to breed, but that wont happen if you only keep one so I wouldn't worry about it. I have two (male and female) in a 30 gallon with a group of 10 rosy tetras and some amano shrimp. When the tetras or shrimp come a little too close to the cave I've made for the kribs, they get chased away but that's it. I think you could keep any bottom dweller that fits in temperature and space requirements as long as you only keep one krib.

OP
Greengirl87

Greengirl87

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh I just remembered about the caves for kribs. Dang, the 29 gallon is my game of thrones themed tank, and there is no decor that is cave-like. So that leaves me with a 20 gallon. Is a 20 gallon big enough for one krib? If so, would it be big enough for anything else?

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom