55 Gallon Tank Krib stocking question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylice8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
in my 55 gal tank as of right now i have 2 firemouths, 2 kribs (dont know what sex) 1 RTS and 1 boseiman Rainbow other died:'(, but i was wanting to get 2 more kribs because mine are getting along well togther but there kinda small, so if i add more i can can see them alot more. So if get 2 more kribs would that be ok for my tank.

P.S. im also thinking about getting 3 rainbows if u have any info on that please let me know and tell me if u think this is going to be overcrowed. Thank you for your help.

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't know if this helps for sexing the two you have but here is my pair. Male is on the left, female is on the right. You see she has a much redder belly and those two eye spots on her dorsal fin.

Attachments

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh by the way I think 2 more kribs would probably be ok, I don't know about the rest because I don't know what size they get. Just make sure the Kribs have lots of "Caves" to choose from because they will pick out their territory. Especially if you end up with a a spawning pair. How are your firemouths with the kribs? They get considerably larger than Kribs will, so be careful if they are aggressive with them. (Though Kribs are pretty tough little suckers)

OP
S

sylice8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ty for the info: The firemouths are a good bit bigger, but the firemouths chase everyone around a little bit but the kribs can out run them everytime and they dont hurt them they kinda just play tag so no harm done.;D, and as far as sexing I think I already have 1 male for sure and im not sure about the other one

1 other ? do u have any say about the 3 rainbows because i dont want to over stock my tank. Ty for help

kwesdog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you add more kribs and they start to pair off you will have problems even in a 55. I had 6 pairs in a 55 at one time just to get pairs out of them and when the dominant male reared up none of the other kribs were safe and the only other krib that survived without damage was the female he paired with. I more recently started on them again and only went with 4 in a 55 and got a pair out of them and the same thing happened only this go around the aggression started with in minutes.

I have a feeling you will also have fighting with your FM's and the kribs eventually and unless you have a ninja krib the FM's will likely kill your kribs.

As far as stocking I think you would be fine with 2 more in a 55.

Harry

OP
S

sylice8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thank you for ur help and about the firemouths they pretty clam but hey give chase a ittle but not much and it does not last long

also what do u think about the rainbows if i get 3 of them do u think ill be over cowded? ty for reply

OP
S

sylice8

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
o ok ty for help. I just got my Kribs today and they are a good bit smaller than the other kribs, and im hoping im not regretting that desision because the bigger ones seems to be giving a little bit of chase so i hope things will work out. But on the bright side i have not had a problem with the firemouths who could very easyily eat them. So i think it is going to be a good addition to my tank YEA!;D;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom