Krib fry

msvicki68
Hello,

Just wanted to share that I have krib fry. I can't believe it...this is my first for an egglayer.

Allie
Have fun...last November/December I raised some kribs. Congrats!!

COBettaCouple
They're cute little buggers, aren't they?

susitna-flower
Hello,

Just wanted to share that I have krib fry. I can't believe it...this is my first for an egglayer.

I'm happy for you!

msvicki68
I know its a dumb question but when do you consider there age? ...eggs laid=one day or hatched=one day

COBettaCouple
I think some people go with both, but I probably would go with hatched.
I know its a dumb question but when do you consider there age? ...eggs laid=one day or hatched=one day

bruiser
Hey all, I'm expecting some krib fry within the next few days.. I've already done some research but still have some unanswered questions I'm hoping you can help me out with..

The pair is in a community tank. I know its recommended to leave the fry with the parents for as long as possible, But I would like to move as many as possible to a 5 gallon tank once their free swimming.

1) I don't plan on running a filter (the only available filter I have right now is an AC20.. too much for the tank I think..) I plan on daily water changes. But should I run my small aerator to stir up the surface or will it make a difference?

2) I currently have a bare bottom in the tank, would you advise adding some gravel? or will it make any difference..

Thanks!

Butterfly
If you can get a sponge filter they are fantastic for fry tanks. Tiny microscopic things(infusoria) grow on the sponge filters and fry love to graze on it.
If you don't have a filter at all I personally would run an aerator on low just for a bit of water circulation. Daily water changes are an excellent idea. I use a bucket of prepared, warmed water siphoning from the bucket to the tank so the return water comes back slowly and changes parameters slowly. I also siphon with a piece of aerator tubing into a white bucket so I can see any fry if I accidentally suck any up
bare bottom tanks make the very best fry tanks. It makes them much easier to clean.
Hope that helps.
carol

bruiser
Thanks Butterfly! exactly what I wanted to know!

Butterfly
What are you going to feed them?

bruiser
Well I'm planning on finely crushed up flakes, and hopefully I can track down some brine shrimp. do you have any other suggestions?

Butterfly
I had a lot of success with new fry using golden pearls from Kensfish.com
and then Decapsulated brine Shrimp when they get a bit bigger (depends on what your feeding)
He does ship to Canada
Carol

bruiser
Thanks for the tip! I ordered some of the golden pearls.. Hopefully its here before the babies..!

Butterfly
Thanks for the tip! I ordered some of the golden pearls.. Hopefully its here before the babies..!
Cool! let us know when they get here He usually ships pretty fast.
carol

Sammyboi1993
Cleaning out the Tank today I found some krib eggs, having had 3 sets of krib fry and no sucsess if their anything I can to ensure their servival?

Thanks
Sm

kcarmartinez
Have you had krib fry that have hatched? Or just the eggs? My krib fry always disappeared (I also had tiger barbs in the tank). If you find fry you can separate them in a breeder net or tank....

Gouramiguy17
I'm in the same boat as you, this is my kribs 4th time and I have yet to raise up any fry. How far have your kribs managed to raise the brood? My kribs managed to get them free swimming but then my syno cat got them

btate617
For a decent chance the pair needs to be alone.

Remember fish love to eat fish.

Brian

Gouramiguy17
Your aquarium is overstocked if it's all in a 30 gallon, there's no way the parents are going to be able to fight off all the fish you have, just the rainbow shark itself will be a handfull for them.

Butterfly
This is a not very good video of my 8 week old Krib fry

LyndaB
How exciting! How long do you keep yours with their parents? That didn't look like a typical grow out tank to me.

Chris123
Cute!

They look like minI versions of kribs

Thanks for sharing

Chris

Lucy
Great video Carol. They're really cute!

Butterfly
Mine stay with their parents for three weeks then go to a 20 gallon grow out tank. Then at six weeks or so they go to the 29 which is what is in the video.
This is what the 20 gallon looks like. Lots of algae, hiding places and bare bottom so I can keep all the excess food vacuumed up and do good water changes.
Carol

Attachments

• sm fry tank.JPG
    sm fry tank.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 179
LyndaB
Thanks for sharing. My fry will be just about 6 weeks when we leave for vacation for 10 days, so I've decided just to leave them in the 30 with their parents and let nature takes its course. If I'm meant to have young ones, they'll be there when we return from vacation.

Butterfly
Thanks for sharing. My fry will be just about 6 weeks when we leave for vacation for 10 days, so I've decided just to leave them in the 30 with their parents and let nature takes its course. If I'm meant to have young ones, they'll be there when we return from vacation.
Sounds good. They should be fine
carol

bolivianbaby
Aw, look at the little cuties! How precious! Thanks for posting the vid, Carol!

Butterfly
Aw, look at the little cuties! How precious! Thanks for posting the vid, Carol!
Glad you enjoyed it. I'm still playing with the camera and they were the perfect subject as they are just sure somebody has to be going to feed their poor starving bellies LOL and of course I do so they rise up all over the water column.
Carol

Aquarist
Hello Carol,

Beautiful tank and fish Good job on the video!

Ken

Butterfly
Thanks Ken

Jrobber
Congratulations on the fry! They look great.

ayelie
Oh what cute babies.

Great vid. Thanks for letting us see it.

Shawnie
great vid! and they are just adorable!

Butterfly
Thanks They are really responsive to attention now
carol

CHoffman
Beautiful babies Carol!!

MDK
Recently bred male and female kribensis. Both parents are albino yet have ended up with purple coloured kribensis fry. Not one Albino. How does that work ?

catsma_97504
You should have albinos in the mix. How old are the fry?

nippybetta
If the albino gene is dominant, there should be at least a few albino fry with the others. If it's recessive, you should have all albino fry. If it's displaying incomplete dominance in the albinos, you should still have a few albino fry.

catsma_97504
If the albino gene is dominant, there should be at least a few albino fry with the others. If it's recessive, you should have all albino fry. If it's displaying incomplete dominance in the albinos, you should still have a few albino fry.

It is my understanding than albinism in kribs is an incomplete dominant gene. As the OP appears to have mostly "normal" coloring I suspect that his kribs have only one dose (homozygous) of albinism. A true albino fish (heterozygous) will have no coloring anywhere. Kribs with a single dose will still have coloring in their fins and eyes.

That being said, there should be some albino kribs in the mix. In breeding other species, I find the albinos to be more difficult to raise. So, they may have died off, but that is only a theory.

AquaticBrandon
This morning I woke up to seeing kribensis fry . Very exciting! The male is protecting them and is always with them. Problem is that I can't find the female Krib. I've looked around the tank and no signs of her. I hope she didn't die or something . Also, they are in a community tank with other tetras and cories. No fish are going near the fry. How long can I keep them in the tank with the father? I do have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon set up, can I move them to one of those or can I just leave them in the tank? Thanks
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1446929748.028945.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1446929757.279351.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1446929765.277480.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
INeedHelpLol
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Top Bottom