Krib Fry In A General Use Tank

agfoxx

Reaction score
HI Fishlore-ists,

I've got a Congo Biotope tank which was set up about eight weeks ago. The tank is 250 ltr/55 gallons; I keep seven Congo Tetra, four Kribs, and three upside-down catfish.

This morning I woke up to find a school of Krib fry swimming about. Obviously the parents are protecting them from everybody else - which is as it should be.

However, I've got two problems.

1) nowhere to move the fry - I don't have a smaller tank, or anywhere to put it.
2) food: I bought some baby brine shrimp etc from my local fish shop - but I'm sure the Congo Tetra will get to them before the fry even notice that there is food on offer.

What can I do to help the fry survive, given I can't move them to a separate tank?

Thank you!

ktorg

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
agfoxx said:
What can I do to help the fry survive, given I can't move them to a separate tank?
Unfortunately very few, if any fry will survive long in a community aquarium, although it is possible for a few to make it. Sometimes my apistos breed in my 55gal planted community tank and the most I've had survive to a sellable size was 6 from a batch of 150ish and I think that was pretty lucky.
If you want to feed them bbs try using a turkey baster to target feed.

New Threads