Krib Firemouth Fight

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by gandalf1420, Aug 18, 2019.

1. gandalf1420

gandalf1420Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    I just brought home a kribensis and 3 angels (they just sort of float around looking arrogant and awesome the way angels do) and put them in the 75 g which already had 3 firemouths. When they'd acclimated one of the firemouths was hiding in this nice big rock cave I made earlier. I let out the crib and lo and behold, he? (no idea, it's like two inches) proceeds to mouth fight the firemouth out of the cave! Was this a one time thing or will I need more caves? It was really funny though, like a couple of six year olds on the playground.

2. Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +160
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You'll need more caves and hiding places Poor ole Krib looked at that strange new world and the f.m in a good hole and just yanked him out - poor f.m but yes that is what Kribs do they hide so make sure you feed near him/her because with competition for holes it's not going to get too far away even to eat. They are beautiful fish- I have a pair and I hardly ever see them even though they have spawned and raised fry together 3 times they are so secretive I don't see the fry till they are way past free swimming . The tank is also heavily planted which I recommend your Firemouth may not like it but the Krib and Angels will. For the record I think Angels and Kribs are great together too I think the f.m might turn out to be a little aggressive for your peaceful set-up especially if your Angels pair up they won't notice the krib on his level but the firemouth will be in their faces. Good Luck to you and welcome to fishlore.

3. OP
    OP
    gandalf1420

gandalf1420Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I bought two packs of plastic plants and 5 terra-cotta pots, just now when I went to check I couldn't find the krib. Had to check again to make sure he was in there! There's only two angels now (one of them died last night, no idea why, the other two are fine though) and I'm going to take out one of them if they do pair up/may have another tank by the time they're old enough. They're only quarter-sized at the moment, the FMs a tiny bit bigger. I've been getting a lot of conflicting stuff about angels and FMs, but I decided to go for it. They seem to be doing fine right now but they are just babies. We'll see what happens.