Krib Eggs

Discussion in 'Kribensis - Kribs' started by Treefork, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Well, my Kribs have eggs. From the part of the cave wall that is visible I see about 50. There are probably more but I can't see them from the angle it's at. So far they've only had to run off curious cory cats. If the cories get too interested (or too battered) I'll move them into my 10 gallon for a bit. We'll see how it goes. I've not had much experience with fry. (I did have a pair of convicts about 13 years ago that spawned, but that was long ago.) Anyhow, I'll try to update. With any luck I'll have some Kribs to give away to any Fishlorians interested that may live in Northeast Indiana area.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats! I think everybodies Kribs are spawning :)
    Carol

3. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Did your spawn on Monday? Mine did and if yours did then we will be in sync
    Aldo what did they spawn in and can we get pics?

4. OP
    OP
    Treefork

I first noticed yesterday. The cave is a premade decorative cave I purchased for like 12 bucks. You can see mama peeking out in the pic. I put a nice flat rock in the cave in case they wanted it, but you can see they dug up all the sand and put it there. The eggs are just to the right of the mom on the cave wall a little below the level of that brown rock. So I guess they spawned yesterday or Tuesday night. Likely Tuesday night, my wife feeds them for me in the morning because I go to work at 4:30am and she wouldn't have noticed anything she doesn't pay much attention to the tank. They are in a 29gallon on the left hand corner.

EDIT: If you look close you can see the eggs in the lower right hand corner of the cave where the shadow is.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    Treefork

What do you feed your krib fry? I was going to pick up some first bites. Also how soon do the eggs hatch typically?

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

first bites should be small enough. I use decapsulated brine shrimp and golden pearls(rotifers) from Kensfish.com for my fry.
    Carol

7. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Hey I just checked out that site, they have some pretty good prices on fish food.

8. OP
    OP
    Treefork

9. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Ok my eggs have dissappeared off the cave wall, but I can't see any wigglers. I noticed that the female dug another "cave" in the sand underneath the real cave wall. She is still vigorously defending against anyone who comes near so I'm going to assume we've got wigglers down in the "nursery". I'll be keeping my eyes out. I was able to find a few packages of first bites so I've got that on hand when they become free swimming.

10. B

BroolynKribs New Member Member

How long have you guys gone without seeing your female when she went to lay her eggs? I have not seen my female in over aweek now. I haven't found a body or anything so I have no idea if shes just hiding that well or what. Starting to worry me...you guys ever have this happen?

11. OP
    OP
    Treefork

Well, I never didnt see my female, she comes out to eat pretty regular, but I've read that they might dissapear for 4 or 5 days. I just noticed today that my male is on the other side of the tank and when he goes by the cave the female is running him off. Not TOO aggressively but she seems to be keeping him back. Haven't seen any wigglers yet, she's got them hid pretty well inside her cave.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice