Krib Cichlids!!

1. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

So these are the two at my petstore. Male or female and how would I tell if they've paired? The one I think is female was inside a cave while the other was "patrolling"
    IMG_4434.PNG IMG_4435.PNG IMG_4436.PNG
  2. fish time Well Known Member Member

Sorry Nighthawk I'm not able to tell if they have paired but they are very pretty fish you got there and a nice tank arrangement you have there I'm sure someone more experienced than me will eventually respond but nice tank :)

3. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

No, no, not my tank. (Heavens no...not with 7 iridescent sharks in there...) just the pet store tank. Want to get a confirmation that there were male and females before I went and bout three males and then couldent figure out why they were not pairing. :)
  4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm pretty sure the one on the left in the top pic is a female. You can tell by the round pink belly. The one on the right I believe is a male but I'm basing it on the second pic to determine that because of the better side view which shows the pointed anal and caudal fins.

It's a toss up whether they will pair off though.. they may not always just bc they're m/f.

5. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

That's kinda what I was thinking. But there is only the two of them so I might hold off till they get more or hit the city. I'm off for two weeks so I have time to make multiple trips into the city once they've paired up.
  6. yukondog Well Known Member Member

Top picture female on the left and male on the right. Looks like she's ready.
  7. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

So would the other be her mate or is it more likly her mate got sold? (Wow that sounds bad...)

8. Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

Yup, male and female. Kribs are the easiest cichlids to breed next to convicts, almost certainly a pair.
  9. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

And if I were to get them and they were not? They used to have more so her mate could have been sold. Would she beat the other guy up if they're not paired?
  10. Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

They will pair. Breeding kribs just requires a male, female, and water.

11. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

To simplify. :)

I was told to get 2 males and a female and let her pick, then return the loner. But if it's just the two of them they will pair? This is my first time which cichlids.
  12. yukondog Well Known Member Member

I'm going through that now with a female that her mate died and finally found a male for her, added him thur. and she took right up to him, but he's a little slow on accepting her, I've had them take a week or more to pair up, if your not wanting fry to deal with I would just keep the male as they are the mellower of the two. From the way it looks they may have already paired up, are they swimming around as a pair? If you wait to long they may sell one or both of them.
  13. yukondog Well Known Member Member

If you get two males try and get the one that seems to be with her and the other one the same size as the male but with kribs I have never had any problem getting them to breed.
  14. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Ok. The tank I just set up today and I need to pull my canister apart to get some seeded media and nothing is open tomorrow anyways. Probably would get some (either those two or hitting the city) Monday at the earliest. Oh yeah, and I have to get glass cut so I have a lid. My cat just might try fishing otherwise...

The biggest thing I guess is that this isn't a big chain petstore so I know they're gonna be healthier then "city fish".
  15. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

Well, the good news is that they were in the same cave the female was guarding before together. Sounds like a good thing. But yeah, I need a lid first. :)