Help Krib Cichlid Weird Sickness While Breeding?

Lana1049

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A few months ago, I bought a pair of kribs, I went there a few days in a row and they seemed they were interacting the most, and I am positive I have a male/female pair. Today, they started locking lips. They are not aggressive towards each other, and today she’s been paying a lot of attention to her spot today, cleaning it, etc. I had to leave the house for about two hours today, and now the male is on the other side of the tank, hiding, and she’s super aggressive. However, when I got back, I noticed that she was super pale. Her belly was super bright yesterday, and now today it is a dull purple and she’s turned very skinny in the past couple of hours. She’s chasing the male around the tank like there’s no tomorrow, and he’s now hiding in the corner, which has never happened. Her throat area has turned a dark green. Help, please!
image.jpg

(I know, I didn’t use the template, but my ammonia is 0, I changed my water a couple days ago with no changes in behavior, and the male is fine, just freaked out, and it doesn’t seem like a parasite or anything)

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thinking she laid eggs and now is just chasing the male away.
I have seen this ,but kribs usually calm down and share parenting duties well .
Look for eggs in her hiding spot .

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like they’ve spawned and she’s now in guarding mode, which has slightly different colours to breeding mode. Some of them like being single mums and chase the father away.

Lana1049

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sounds like they’ve spawned and she’s now in guarding mode, which has slightly different colours to breeding mode. Some of them like being single mums and chase the father away.
Thank you, that makes more sense. She’s turned very aggressive! However, I checked her hiding spot for eggs, and couldn’t find one. Then again, I may have missed them, because her hiding spot is a white tube. I’m going on vacation tomorrow, (perfect timing). Is there anything I should do for them?

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not much to do really. Don’t clean the tank before you go, and if there are fry they’ll probably find little bits to eat.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nothing to do but what was mentioned and enjoy your vacation.
You may be surprised when you get home .
I think kribs try to stick eggs to top of caves so easy to miss..
Many cave spawning fish hang their eggs on sides or ceiling so **** doesn't settle on them .Kind of pretty smart ! Go figure mother nature has worked most of this out besides our interference !

Lana1049

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nothing to do but what was mentioned and enjoy your vacation.
You may be surprised when you get home .
I think kribs try to stick eggs to top of caves so easy to miss..
Many cave spawning fish hang their eggs on sides or ceiling so doesn't settle on them .Kind of pretty smart ! Go figure mother nature has worked most of this out besides our interference !
Thank you, I probably missed them as I didn’t look too hard.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom