Krib cichlid tank mates?

Clay Yingling

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a pet Ball Python in a 20 gallon long tank and he is growing quickly so u will need to upgrade his cage soon. So because of this I will have a 20 gallon long just sitting around so I can put my Krib breeding pair in there. My question is, can I put in any other fish in there so that the tank doesn't look 'empty'. My Kribs don't seem too aggressive as I had them in my 29 gallon community in which they spawned and had some free swimming fry. Could I add a top dweller such as a guppy or a couple tetra? Thanks. Sorry for the long story.

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I have a breeding pair in a community tank, 46g but the smaller the tank, the more likely for aggression. You could try it and if it didn't work move the additions to your community tank?
Either way, kribs are beautiful and imo, fun to watch on their own!

Clay Yingling

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In that tank, I wouldn't do anything more than a few cories.
Well I was thinking about that but since cories are bottom dwellers much like the Kribs I feel there will be more aggression than to a couple guppies which are mid to top dwellers. Idk what I'll do yet. I havnt even got a larger tank for my ball python so until I do that nothing will happen with the fish.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't do cories either. The kribs might bother them when they start breeding and becoming more territorial. If it's just the kribs in the 20 gal, maybe a few smaller top level schoolers? Like those listed in the 10 gal stocking options.

jmoneyisback

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well I was thinking about that but since cories are bottom dwellers much like the Kribs I feel there will be more aggression than to a couple guppies which are mid to top dwellers. Idk what I'll do yet. I havnt even got a larger tank for my ball python so until I do that nothing will happen with the fish.
I have cories with my krib and BR. The krib swims all levels of the tank and doesn't bother the cories. If anything, the cories' activity level keeps her away.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@ But you only have one krib, right? (I'm guessing from your lack of pluralization). A single krib should be fine with cories, but I wouldn't put cories with a breeding pair of kribs, especially in a tank that small. Maybe in a larger tank with a larger footprint it could work. Kribs can be very territorial when breeding.

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom