Kole Tang Glass Pacing

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Just got a Kole Tang yesterday for my 48" long 75 gallon FOWLR. I made sure the specimen I picked was the healthiest. That same day I bought a small Four Spot Butterflyfish, a small Squirrelfish, and a small Lemon Peel Angelfish. So far no aggression, though the tang will occasionally chase fish out of the tunnel he chose at the middle of the tank. However, since I got it yesterday the tang has been pacing on the left panel of the tank. I researched that it might be the tang seeing his reflection and that putting a towel over that panel will help. I put a towel over the panel and he's lost a little interest in that panel, but he's still staying near that area, this time surfing the front glass where I put the algae clip (the only fish that seems to be interested in the norI is the angel). I researched a little bit more and read that the tang should adjust after a while. It's also worth noting that the other fish are not doing it, other than the lemon peel, who does it on occasion and then goes back into the rocks to swim around tunnels. This is my first time keeping a tang, so I need to get used to their behavior.

Has this ever happened to anyone else who has a Kole Tang?

saltwater60

Sounds normal at this point. Keep an eye on it. It can stress a fish out but he’s so new I don’t see it being a huge concern at this point.

Also keep an eye on your water parameters. That’s a lot of fish to add at one time. That will more than likely stress your bioload and tour filtering capacity.
Any other fish? How long has the tank been set up?

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

The Tank has been set up since July 2019. It's had a lot of fish in the past but a velvet outbreak killed off most of the original inhabitants. By the way, the Kole Tang has been settling down a bit, hanging out in the rocks and exploring a little more. However, Bob, my Lemon Peel Angel that I also bought yesterday along with my Kole Tang, Squirrelfish, and Butterflyfish has started glass pacing a lot, mainly on the right panel. No other fish is doing it but him.

I do have other fish. The last survivors of the velvet outbreak are my 3-inch Pajama Cardinal, and my Pink Streaked Goby, who I named "Falkor".

saltwater60

Take a picture of the tank. How’s the rock work and hiding spaces?

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

My Lemon Peel went (temporarily) hiding when I took this picture. There's a hiding spot above the middle pvc pipe, but the Lemon Peel doesn't go there because he got scared by my territorial Pink Streaked goby. All the other hiding spots seem to be taken. Maybe can I get more rocks?

saltwater60

CHAMELEON_BREEZE said:

My Lemon Peel went (temporarily) hiding when I took this picture. There's a hiding spot above the middle pvc pipe, but the Lemon Peel doesn't go there because he got scared by my territorial Pink Streaked goby. All the other hiding spots seem to be taken. Maybe can I get more rocks?
Yes I recommend more rock work and hiding places.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom