Koi with Tropical fish! Important 

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Here is a video I found of Koi living with Oscars, Barbs and other tropical fish.
They seem happy and healthy.
I do not see the problem? Koi come from China were it is very HOT and you seem them in tropical ponds along side gouramis!

does this prove they can live together?

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Koi are not much more than fancy carp. Yes they can live in warm water, and cold water. If they are in a pond all is well.

Koi grow fast and large!!

I personally believe that Koi have no place in an aquarium, unless it is very, very large. Koi babies of course could be kept in a tank for a short time...before stunting.

I have been keeping Koi for 13 years now and they need a lot of room.

Koi live alongside all kinds of fish....the key is room for them to grow...same as "tropical" fish. You can expect Koi to get 2 to 3 feet in size, relatively quickly....in some cases even larger depending on the breeding.

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OK say some one had a tank large enough to house Koi, in theory could you keep them with tropical fish in a warm water tank?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
https://www.fishlore.com/profiles-koi.htm

Good morning. I don't recommend Koi to be kept in the home aquarium. They need hundreds of gallon per fish in order to thrive.

Check out the link above.

+2 on Ted's comments.

Ken

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Out of curiosity it said they should be in ponds 1000gallons or bigger. But didn't say how many could fit in a 1000gallons, which isn't useful if you have say a 1000gal pond but are trying to figure out how many koi you can add.

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello where is the video? Sorry but I'm pretty new here I don't find it...

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
sorry here is the video!!!

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow both those tanks are very poorly set up for the stock in them. There is no lateral space for the goldies in the hex tank and from what I've read so far a koi needs a minimum of 100gal but more like 200gal per fish. Also koi that size really need a pond or a very large more square tank.

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
they seem happy though?

mizzoufan96

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thats very cool But defenatly overstocking lol. Those frogs/bullfrogs whatever are huge! that makes me thing of having a frog tank. lol

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ViridiosExotics said:
they seem happy though?
For now but they aren't full grown yet, they will double in size and won't be able to turn around properly in the tank.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They might look happy. But what if they aren't? Fish can't smile, they can't laugh, only express themselves with body motion and stuff. If you ask me, al the fish look very nervous and jumpy.

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Koi were first bred in China were it is hot. If you go to China, Hong Kong, Japan etc... you will see Koi in 'tropical' ponds with gouramis and other large tropicals.

If Koi were true coldwater fish then why do you have to bring them in for the winter and not goldfish, tench, rudd etc...???

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I've moved this thread to the Pond/Koi section of the forum.
Thanks!
Ken

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sponge bob LOL!

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
China isn't all tropical. In fact, the carp that koi descend from live in the north of China, where the climate is temperate.

Koi can live in tropical waters, but their life spans are pretty drastically reduced. In a proper-sized pond, you could have koi with tropical fish for a year, maybe even a decade or two, but a koi's lifespan is potentially longer than a human's. The oldest was something like 152.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A large part of China actually has a climate similar to Saskatchewan (Canadian Prairie's).
Also alot of the modern Koi's development occurred in Japan as well I believe.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ViridiosExotics said:
Koi were first bred in China were it is hot. If you go to China, Hong Kong, Japan etc... you will see Koi in 'tropical' ponds with gouramis and other large tropicals.

If Koi were true coldwater fish then why do you have to bring them in for the winter and not goldfish, tench, rudd etc...???
Koi (and goldfish for that matter) are NOT cold water fish. They are temperate water fish. They need the fluctuation of warmer water during the day and cooler water during the night as well as the seasonal water temperature changes. Most tropical fish can't handle the variety of temperature changes that are ideal for Koi and Goldfish. I keep tropicals (plecos, cories, cae) in my pond with my goldfish during the summer months when the water is warm enough for them, but they come in during the winter. My goldfish stay out year round and do great because they are receiving the temperature fluctuations they need. I have actually had danios, tetras, and several different of the smaller "shark" species in my pond over the years, but only in the summer when the water temp is warm enough for them. They then went to friends/family who had proper tanks for them. Koi need lots of room to swim. They also need larger volumes of water to help dilute their waste or you would end up having to do daily water changes to keep up with the ammonia etc. That is why ponds are best for Koi.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If Koi were true coldwater fish then why do you have to bring them in for the winter and not goldfish, tench, rudd etc...
You don't have to bring them in for the winter......

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
People who bring Koi in for the winter likely do so for various reasons.
1) The pond is too shallow and freeze's solid in the winter.
2) They feel that the koi are too valuable to risk them over the winter.
3) They are trying to encourage growth by not allowing the fish to go into dormancy over the winter.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads