Koi(?) With Brown Patches

AshPyro

Hello,
This is only my second post here and I'm sad to say that it's another fish with some kind of disease, however this fish isn't mine. My boyfriend's mother decided to impulse buy some fish that she can't handle. She bought them off of craigslist and she didn't even know what kind of fish they are. From what I can tell from the pictures my bf sent me, it seems like there are 2 kissing gourami, some kind of pleco, a few goldfish, and what I'm pretty sure is a koi. From pictures I looked up online it looks like an ogon koi, but I don't really know anything about koi. She had planned to keep all of those fish together in a 40 gallon. It took a lot of convincing, but eventually my boyfriend got her to be willing to give up the koi, but she was very stubborn on keeping the others. The koi is going to a friend of mine's dad who has a koi pond, but it doesn't look at all healthy, which is understandable seeing as the people that it was bought from also kept it in that same 40 gallon with all those other fish and probably also didn't know what kind of fish they were so therefore it's very unlikely they got anywhere close to proper care. The koi has brown patches on its gills and around its eyes, weird looking scales, tattered fins (possibly due to the kissing gourami which are usually a little aggressive if I'm not mistaken.), and brown lines on its fins. It also might be a bit skinny, but again I don't know much about koi. I'll include pictures and if you can tell me what it is and how to treat it than that would be great. I did some research online, but I don't see anything that really looks like it. I'll keep looking, but help here would be appreciated. Also I'm aware that kissing gourami get pretty big as well as some kinds of plecos, but she insists on keeping them and is being very rude and disrespectful to my boyfriend about it. I wish we could do more, and hopefully soon she'll realize she can't keep them, but for now this is the best we can do.

KoiDisease.jpg
KoiDisease (1).jpg

NevermindIgnoreMe

Hello,
This is only my second post here and I'm sad to say that it's another fish with some kind of disease, however this fish isn't mine. My boyfriend's mother decided to impulse buy some fish that she can't handle. She bought them off of craigslist and she didn't even know what kind of fish they are. From what I can tell from the pictures my bf sent me, it seems like there are 2 kissing gourami, some kind of pleco, a few goldfish, and what I'm pretty sure is a koi. From pictures I looked up online it looks like an ogon koi, but I don't really know anything about koi. She had planned to keep all of those fish together in a 40 gallon. It took a lot of convincing, but eventually my boyfriend got her to be willing to give up the koi, but she was very stubborn on keeping the others. The koi is going to a friend of mine's dad who has a koi pond, but it doesn't look at all healthy, which is understandable seeing as the people that it was bought from also kept it in that same 40 gallon with all those other fish and probably also didn't know what kind of fish they were so therefore it's very unlikely they got anywhere close to proper care. The koi has brown patches on its gills and around its eyes, weird looking scales, tattered fins (possibly due to the kissing gourami which are usually a little aggressive if I'm not mistaken.), and brown lines on its fins. It also might be a bit skinny, but again I don't know much about koi. I'll include pictures and if you can tell me what it is and how to treat it than that would be great. I did some research online, but I don't see anything that really looks like it. I'll keep looking, but help here would be appreciated. Also I'm aware that kissing gourami get pretty big as well as some kinds of plecos, but she insists on keeping them and is being very rude and disrespectful to my boyfriend about it. I wish we could do more, and hopefully soon she'll realize she can't keep them, but for now this is the best we can do.

KoiDisease.jpg
KoiDisease (1).jpg
I can't tell real well from the picture, but it does look like a koi. I wouldn't worry about the brown, I'm 99% sure it's just his coloring. If possible I would try really hard to remove the goldfish as well. Tell her she can get a different tank for the goldfish and still keep them, and they will be much healthier and happier. Remind her that they need a clean tank, and will only make her tank dirtier, and they aren't going to have a good life while being tormented by the other fish.
Best of luck with your bf's mother, it's not easy dealing with difficult people. :/

mmercier

It doesn't look like the brown is anything to really be worried about. It looks normal and like a part of the fish. I'm not totally sure though. Maybe your friend's dad would know?

AshPyro

Thank you both so much. I guess I got a little worried over nothing lol. My friend's dad wasn't sure either. He plans to quarantine it for a while anyway so we'll keep an eye out if anything gets worse. Thank you again.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Thank you both so much. I guess I got a little worried over nothing lol. My friend's dad wasn't sure either. He plans to quarantine it for a while anyway so we'll keep an eye out if anything gets worse. Thank you again.
You were just being cautious, a practice which has saved many lives.
Smart of him to do that, best wishes for the little koi, and dealing with your bf's mom.

mmercier

Perfect plan! That's the greatest thing to do in this situation, best of luck to you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JacobLindsay
Replies
Views
OutsideFoodBlob
Replies
Views
SLuGz
Replies