Koi Spawning!!!

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good grief, its that time of the year. The Koi are spawning and tearing up the pool...they are so big, they shred the waterlilies!!! Pond will be cloudy for 3 days....eggs and milt inside and splashed out of the pond.
Free eggs....come and get them, before the non spawners eat them all!!!!!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Ted,

I hope you have some survivors! Congrats on the spawn. Have we seen your pond photos?

Ken

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congratulations

I had am ale and female lay absolutly thousands of eggs! I pulled them out but most of them were no good, but some have hatched

We need pics of your pond

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All fish are quite fertile....one year I hung some mops in the tank to catch the eggs...for fun put them all in a 55 gal!!!! Needless to say they must of all hatched, you could not see thru the tank from all the wrigglers!!! Raised hundreds in 2 plastic kiddy pools with airstones......It ain't worth the work. Only a very few of the babies are actually top looking Koi....and I felt bad culling them to that point. Now I let the Fantail Golfish and other KOI eat them....its the circle of life, and a few survive that I give away.

Ken, Yes I've posted the fish and the pond in the past. All the breeders are from 23 to 29 inches. As they get older the growth (length) rate decreases but the bulk increases. Still growing and will out live me!!!! Heirloom fish!!!

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here are the breeders again::

Attachments

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Congratulations, Ted!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i love the second one! i want a butterfly koi (or two.... or five.... lol) but we dont have anywhere for a pond. congrats on all the little babies!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom