Koi Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deano_

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi all,

just a quick question, would you be putting newly bought koi into a pond that is full of algae, inadequate filtration....? Its not me, as my pond isnt big enough for koi (as you can see from my pics in the pond gallery) its a friend who bought some today....I would personally be spending about £229 on the 7 stage filtration system i seen whilst out with them today.....

your thoughts..

Deano

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on how big the pond is really. I used to live in wiltshire, uk, and we had a huge pond in our garden, with no filtration at all, just a natural pond, which our Koi lived in happily, and grew huge. If the pond is fairly small though, then I would suggest that it has some sort of filtration.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How big is the pond? How big is the koi? What are the readings on the pond? What other plants are in the pond?

There are a lot of variables that could make an unfiltered pond work fine as a home for fish. It depends on what else is in the mix. If there are adequate plants to take the place of a mechanical filter, then there would be no need for the filter. If the koi in question is very small, and only 1 or 2 at a time are being added, then the pond may be able to adjust to the bioload just fine. If there is not enough plants/etc to handle the bioload, then perhaps the person in question is planning on adding a filter at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 64 66.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.6%

Top Bottom