Koi Pond Outdoors New England?

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
Will they survive New England winters/would they need special heating equipment or something? I'm thinking about building one in the next year or so and was wondering if it's even worth it.

hoseki

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you keeping koi only in the pond and is the pond an above ground or in-ground. What's the size of the pond? What's the temperature range in winter in England and how long does it last? As far as I know, a lot of koi pond are partially in ground and partially above ground.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
New England, Massachusetts, not England with the queen and constant rain. It would be in ground, I think. I have literally no plans right now, just trying to see if it's worth it to start planning. The temp range can go from below zero to 50 degrees in the winter.

hoseki

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
New England, Massachusetts, not England with the queen and constant rain. It would be in ground, I think. I have literally no plans right now, just trying to see if it's worth it to start planning. The temp range can go from below zero to 50 degrees in the winter.
You mean from 0 to - 50 degree celcius?

hoseki

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, it's probably -10 to +50 Fahrenheit.
So that means it could be as low as -23 degree celcius. If this is true, koi that are larger than 8" should be able to survive in the winter. If you can cover the pond with a piece o plastic on top of the pond to protect the pond from wind chill (or even build a plastic dome), it can keep the water temp to be around 0 celcius or may be a bit below 0 (32 degree fahrenheit). I know a lot of koi hobbyist put in gas heating for their ponds an bit all depends on your budget.
I used to have a 4500gal pond in Ontario Canada and I put in a dome for it. Just have a thin slice of ice on the surface without heating the pond and koi are pretty ok in it. Temperature can be even low than your side in winter.

esqueff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’m in Utah with similar winter temperatures. Although I don’t have a pond I know quite a few people who are huge pond gurus. One of my co workers is the leader of a pond club here. I don’t know everything but what I have learned is that deeper is better. At least an area of the pond that is at least 4 plus feet deep. As well as it’s essential to not let the pond cap over with ice. You need to have an area of open water to help the transfer of oxygen in the water. I knkw there are a few ways to do that but I will let others with more knowledge chime in with their advice. Good luck!!

hoseki

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So that means it could be as low as -23 degree celcius. If this is true, koi that are larger than 8" should be able to survive in the winter. If you can cover the pond with a piece o plastic on top of the pond to protect the pond from wind chill (or even build a plastic dome), it can keep the water temp to be around 0 celcius or may be a bit below 0 (32 degree fahrenheit). I know a lot of koi hobbyist put in gas heating for their ponds an bit all depends on your budget.
I used to have a 4500gal pond in Ontario Canada and I put in a dome for it. Just have a thin slice of ice on the surface without heating the pond and koi are pretty ok in it. Temperature can be even low than your side in winter.
I’m in Utah with similar winter temperatures. Although I don’t have a pond I know quite a few people who are huge pond gurus. One of my co workers is the leader of a pond club here. I don’t know everything but what I have learned is that deeper is better. At least an area of the pond that is at least 4 plus feet deep. As well as it’s essential to not let the pond cap over with ice. You need to have an area of open water to help the transfer of oxygen in the water. I knkw there are a few ways to do that but I will let others with more knowledge chime in with their advice. Good luck!!
There is a lot of different suggestion on that depth of pond to cater for winter weather. I have a 2 ft deep pond before that 4500 gal pond and it is around less than a 1000 gal. Koi are ok throughout the winter. Also, I've seen nursery garden that have ponds that are 1.5' deep in Ontario and the koi still survive in winter. Koi that are fully grown can be more than 3' and that is the main reason that they need a deeper pond so that koi can turn around when they are swimming up from bottom. I would normally have the real koi pond 5' deep but some other people made it more deeper.

gandalf1420

Valued Member
Reaction score
So all in all it seems like the answer is yes, with a deep enough pond and not completely freezing surface, they're good in the winter. Thanks!

koigal

Reaction score
I live in MASS. and have had a pond for 13 yrs. We leave the air stone 6" below the water line so it doesn't freeze, leave our water pump just circulating in the pond and put de-icer in. We have had ice on the edges, but the koi are fine. I have two of the original ones from 13 yrs. ago

esqueff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I live in MASS. and have had a pond for 13 yrs. We leave the air stone 6" below the water line so it doesn't freeze, leave our water pump just circulating in the pond and put de-icer in. We have had ice on the edges, but the koi are fine. I have two of the original ones from 13 yrs. ago
What is de-icers?

koigal

Reaction score
They keep a hole in the ice. You can do a google search for pond de icers

hoseki

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the winter time, I will just shut down all the water pump. It will do nothing but to bring the coldness to the bottom of the pond much faster. There is no bio filtration with that temperature and oxygen level in water in that cold temperature is not an issue at all.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 33 63.5%

Top Bottom