koi pond/greenhouse/swimming pool

thesixd

Hi. this is my first post ever on any blog or thread on whatever it may be called, so bear with me. I'm starting here because I can't seem to get any real answers to my questions. As the title leads on, I am trying to build, in a sense, a swimming pool that I would like to have fish in, within a greenhouse. The water could be used in the plants, the pool could be somewhat free of typical chemicals and could be used year round (I live in new england). Considering a BakkI shower filter with some uv sterilyzation and very low levels of chlorine if necessary (I would think the fish could handle the suggested .05 ppm recomendations). Does anyone think this would be unsafe, provided it is cleaned regularly and not overstocked?

Anon

Welcome to Fishlore!
I don't see how it would be unsafe. I know my green house gets really really hot so I'd just be aware of that. Wouldn't want any boiled fish..

Nikita

No matter the fish, they do not like Chlorine. Even the smallest trace can kill fish. With the Chlorine in the water, the chances of the fish surviving are very little. You could do a Green House pond, even swim in it if you want, but I would not add any type of chemicals whatsoever.

-Nik

thesixd

koI pond/grrenhouse/swimming pool

the pool size I'm considering is around 8000 gallons, so I'm not too worried about overheating. In fact I have salvaged a complete solar hot water system and have nine panels to heat it during the winter. As far as safety, there seems to be a concern about fish waste and its potential hazzard to humans. There are a lot of conversations of people worried about sticking their hands into an aquarium, let alone swimming in it ??

MJDuti

lol, I don't know about my hand in the aquarium being a problem. And I have snails, worms, copepods, etc. those people worried about that aren't cut out for aquaria. if it's big enough I don't see how it'd be any different than swimming in a nasty pond. It shouldn't kill you. If anything since there will be filtration, it'd be cleaner IMO.

Anyways, if you get this crazy awesome idea to work, Please keep us posted on this thread!

Shine

There's been fish in every lake I've swam in over the years too, never mind the stagnant dugouts (farm ponds) I wouldn't worry too much about the hazards of swimming in a pond, or sticking your hand in a fishtank. Just suggest not doing so with open wounds

I'd love to do what you are suggesting, but don't even have the greenhouse.... soooo long way from that little dream

thesixd

Being that its a pool and not a pond, that has a supply of fresh water, I am spending time worrying now before I get started, because fixing it later would be awful. I'm on the side of it shouldn't be dangerous, but I don't know everything and the risks could be huge. We have 5 fish tanks totaling around 750 gallons and I'm not afraid to jump in head first, but then people have said i'm a little crazy ?? Maybe there is a test for the bacteria levels so I can monitor my filtration ?

MJDuti

thesixd said:
We have 5 fish tanks totaling around 750 gallons...
crazy? no, they're just jealous. Like I am of your 5 large tanks! Hey, if you didn't dream big, nothing would change.

psalm18.2

Why? Are you planning on swimming in it??

thesixd

the project is a collection of wants. I love fish, the bigger the better. I love swimming, but not so much in our very healthy pond. I am trying everything I can afford to do to get away from chemicals, especially in my food !! So I want a greenhouse for the food. a pond for the fish that I can also swim in and water the plants in the greenhouse with. Solar panels to heat the water and help warm the greenhouse so we can use it all year round. I my head it sounds perfect. It a step away from an aquaponic system. One difference is that we want the fish for pets not food.

kevymd

I... I love this idea! Sounds amazing! I really hope it works. I sometimes find myself wishing I could shrink down and swim with my fish, but I mean, who hasn't?

Er... Just me then, huh? Ok.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the fish part of things, but I think on the people end you should be fine. Lord knows I've swam in my fair share of farm runoff ditches and horse ponds. And I think (I'm not sure, mind you) leaches are found in more stagnant water, so keeping your pond/pool water circulating and such will keep those pests away. But you're probably planning on doing that anyway, to get oxygen to the fish, so it's a moot point.

Good luck! Keep us updated please!

leonus

You mentioned UV sterilization...If you had sufficient UV sterilization, chlorine would be somewhat redundant, and unnecessary. If you had good filtration, and UV sterilization, the water would be cleaner than what comes out of your tap, and I can't imagine how it would hurt you.

There is a way to test for harmful bacteria. I believe it's called a fecal choliform test...They do this test on aerobic septic systems. I can't tell you how to get one, but you might start looking there.

I love your idea BTW, sounds wonderful.

psalm18.2

Aside from the swimming thing. Have you looked into Aquaponics? You could use the pond to grow the food.

gremlin

My only concern would be if someone wasn't careful about stepping on a fish (or bumping one a bit hard). Or if there were oils or lotions or other "contaminants" carried into the pond by humans. I think the main issue with people putting their hands in their fish tanks, is because our hands may have soap residue, make-up, lotion, hand sanitizer, or other contaminants on our skin that we may not even think about. Unfortunately, in a small (compared to a swimming pool size) tank, minute amounts of contaminants carried on our hands could harm the fish.

Tsyklon

I am not a fan of a pool that is designed for swimming and housing live fish, to be honest. Lots of variables. An 8000G pond sounds fantastic for koi, though, or even larger oddball fish like arowana or redtail catfish.

thesixd

I did start with the idea of aquaponics. I would have room for 88 cubic feet of grow bed and that requires 663 gallons of fish tank. This ratio was designed to be loaded with fish in order to produce enough waste to adaquately fetalize the plants. My pond is 8228 gallons and we don't want the fish for food, so the water will not have enough nutrients to take care of the plants. I figured cleaning out the filters into the compost and using the water when cleaning, would work great if the plants were in dirt.

I own a building and remodeling company and my brother owns a complete septic install and service company so we could probably find that test kit....Thanks

thesixd

Don't picture it like a swimming pool where ten kids are playing voleyball and cannonballing. Picture a relaxing atmosphere for my wife and I to sit in, with masks and snorkels.

sirdarksol

Totally doable. They have similar things at zoos (though it's usually more of a "stick your hand in" than "swI'm in it"). UV sterilization will help deal with the potentially dangerous bacteria, and making sure it has proper filtration will also help with this.

MJDuti

Tsyklon said:
An 8000G pond sounds fantastic for koi, though, or even larger oddball fish like arowana or redtail catfish.
I could only imagine swimming with arowana, how awesome that'd be. I'd be afraid the redtail catfish would swallow my foot! but they are amazing creatures.

I agree that as long as you are careful getting into the pond and don't have any contaminants on you (maybe have a quick rinse/shower station in your greenhouse!) this is feasible. I realllllly want to see this work!

thesixd

I think swimming with 2' koI wound be cool. They seem like social fish and I would think that they would interact with you rather than being all skitish and hiding in the corners. We will see ?? I've got to set aside some more cash to get started. Hoping to break ground by the end of August. I will keep sharing my progress. Hope you guys keep sharing with possible problems you think of and, of course, your support.

CyanidePie

That sounds cool. I am just worried about how humans will affect the water chemistry. Start a kickstaryer campaign!

thesixd

sorry....what is that ??

Tsyklon

Ignore my silly Scottish brother up there . Kickstarter is a website where you can ask for donations from people to fund a project or idea. Generally speaking, those who pledge money expect something in return, be it tangible or not, though some will donate just for the heck of it.

thesixd

huh ?? I think, for me personally, that might tarnish something I'm doing for fun?

Lyfeoffishing

Wow I love your idea!!!! I have actually though of when I get my own place of turning the master bedroom into a huge fish tank. The doorway being a wooden dock with a sand bank along the wall and then the room filled with water/fish. That'd be awesome lol

lorianne621

Great idea. When you are done you should invite us all over for a visit so we can all see it first hand. hahaha!

CyanidePie

I was just kidding my silly American brother. Oh, and I have an American citizenship so hah!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom