Koi Photo Only Thread

Discussion in 'Koi' started by Aquarist, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

Please use this topic to post your koi photos. I'll leave it stickied so it appears at the top of the posts. Let's see different types of Koi out there.

Thanks,
    Ken

-----

Please use your own photos, and not material from the internet.

Please post your photos as attachments, rather than links.

While your compliments on the photos are really appreciated, text-only posts will be removed after a while to keep the gallery pictures-only. If there is a discussion you do not want to loose, please start it again in a separate thread.

2. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

My Koi

Yes, don't get me wrong people, but koi are really close to me as I've been involved with koi for many years. I love all the breeds I keep, but koi keep a special place in my heart.

Now, before we get into this further I am very touchy about one thing, DON'T call a koi a carp even if their lineage began from the use of a carp, they are not carp.

So, here's a few pictures of my koi gang.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. w

waterlilykari Well Known Member Member

On the same note, the other one I can't stand is when I hear someone say "what's the big deal? They're just overgrown goldfish. Same thing, right?" Wrong! I understand that they are related if you go far enough back in their lineage but that is like saying my chihuahua or chihuahua/doxie mix are the same as a coyote or a wolf, or that the little red-eared sliders you see in pet stores are the same as a massive snapping turtle in the wild.

Yes, they are all wonderful animals in their own right but that doesn't mean I am going to run out and try to tame a wild animal -finned, furred or otherwise- and they are so far from being "the same thing" that it's not even funny! My fantail, calico moor and baby ranchus are nowhere near the grace or beauty of koi, and never will be no matter how big they get but that does not mean they do not have a beauty all of their own. I bought goldfish because I wanted goldfish and knew no matter how much I would love to do so, I could not adequately house, raise, care for and maintain koi in the way they deserve. In the same light, I'm sure you chose and bought koi because your wanted koi and not awkward, chubby moors, fantails and ranchus. People should learn to respect the fish for what they ARE, not what they wish they were and unfairly expect them to be.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  4. Dadio

Thank you. I also have some fancies and while they may not get the color or scaling a koi gets they are still lovable creatures with a beauty all their own. Each of our choices in these wonderful creatures I hope is because we chose to care for them, to bring us joy in their reception of our giving and a life together that well rewards both.
    IMG_4794.JPG
    IMG_4795.JPG

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  5. w

Your yard is beautiful and your koi are gorgeous! It's making the old itch to setup one of my own even worse now, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Dadio

Do it, you'll be very happy you did. I love all my tanks, but something about stepping out the door to find that a vacation is only a few feet away. We are getting major heat and very little rain so my pond is like an ac so to speak. Grab some fresh veggies, share with my friends and stay cool. That's what a pond for me brings. I love the way the different mosses played out on the island and it attracts bugs which is a real thrill to see my koi hunt them down :)

7. w

I would do so in a heartbeat but I live in a condo, can't install anything beyond a small above-ground water garden too small to keep koi in and even if I could, the "yard" is 9 feet wide, roughly twice as long, half of that is covered by a permanent deck and the other half is split right down the middle by an eyesore of a regulation concrete path from the gate to the door. My area to garden in literally is only about 3 feet wide strip of dirt between the deck and the path. The rest is fake lawn for the dogs to use as their restroom and so I would consider too contaminated to put a pond there even if it would fit. We are also in a marshy area where the ground soil is semi-salty from the brackish marsh meaning not only does next to nothing grow here without massive amounts of assistance, but the slightest leak would be an issue not so much for the water that would leak out but what contaminants would be leeching in.

Long story short: I get to keep goldfish indoors instead of koi outdoors and just live vicariously through everyone here with stunning outdoor aquascapes and graceful koi.

8. Yande

Yande New Member Member

Yes, Carp and Australia do not have a very healthy relationship! Think fertilizer! I love Koi though!

We visit Guangzhou, China every year and our favourite restaurant has a beautiful Koi collection. (This is our little sanctuary within a city of over 20million!) The fish are not mine, OK, but my love of these fish has lead me into a freshwater aquarium, with the goal of landscaping a suitable pond set up in our back yard to have some Koi. I've always loved Koi.
    I have a great video of the pond, but not sure how to post it.
    Always thought they needed more space.
    Try this:

And yes, we chose outside!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  9. LilBlub

LilBlub Well Known Member Member

Some of my koi and goldfish in the bucket I used to acclimate them to the pond.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice