Koi male gets SBD eating bubbles & whenever he makes bubble nests?

joslime

Ok, so I've had my koi plakat betta for about 7 months now, and in the past couple months I've noticed that he's been getting swim bladder disorder on and off. Floating at the top, slightly sideways, classic SBD. At first I thought I might be overfeeding him (I feed him about 3-5 hikari bio gold pellets daily) and fasted him accordingly with frequent water changes but later noticed that he eats every single bubble made by the aquarium filter! He's always better in the morning but by evening he's bloated up again and can't control his swimming.

Has anyone else observed this kind of behavior?

I changed the filter flow so it doesn't create as many bubbles and that seemed to do the trick for a couple weeks... but now I'm noticing he's bloating up again and a sizable bubble nest always appears when he does (there were small bubble nests before too). So I don't know whether he's eating his own bubble nests or eating filter bubbles/collecting air so he can blow the nests? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• BD6D86C8-BF19-4F65-B381-96AC5CAE46F8.JPG
    BD6D86C8-BF19-4F65-B381-96AC5CAE46F8.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 19

mrsP

Sorry, but... Yeah, it looks like you've got a fish that might be a sandwich short of a picknick. If he manages to get sbd from eating his own bubble nest, all I can think of is to remove the nest every time you see one. I hope someone will give you a smart answer, since this is really not one of those.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Demonskid
  • Question
Replies
Views