Koi, Koi, Koi, Koi !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Today was my spring Koi inspection day and I thought I would share these pics with you. They range from 23 to 29 inches (and still growing) !! Please don't worry, no fish were harmed during this photo shoot....they are my babies.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gorgeous fish Ted. I often wish I had a pond.

They may not have been harmed but they look none too happy about getting their pic taken!!

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
These make my runt koi look shameful lol! I NEED to get myself a couple of pretty bubba koi soon
Beautiful fish!

OP
TedsTank

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Ben, thank you for the compliments. If you want good koi, stay away from the big stores. Get the richest nice color fish you can find. All mine are imported or bred here in my pond. They cost more, but that orange and black breeder female, at 23+ inches is a top dollar fish (if I wanted to sell her). Don't get a second rate fish just to have a Koi.
There are some good breeders around but hard to find +++ fish. Here in the US the stores like walmart, petco and many LFS's are selling fish that I would cull. To bad you are way far from here....I have 5 babies from last year I am getting rid of...3 are excellent fish and about 8 fantail goldies....my pond is appox 2000 gallons and I can't keep more than 8-10 Koi in it and expect them to grow fast.

Tana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stunning koi Ted! They look very healthy and well cared for. I'll bet they look very majestic in your pond too.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well the runts I currently have I saved from someone who had them in a 300G pond and they got them off a breeder for free, because they are runts.
My favourite LFS is very reliable and they sell all sorts, Are the ones labelled "A-grade koi" the cream of the crop? They also do special breeds such as shaggoi and those ones which are light grey/blue with orange bellies.

OP
TedsTank

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like they have a good selection...Grade A are good Koi!! Still go for good rich colors...if you want the red and white Koi, and they have young ones...be sure there is lots of red...their base color is white, and as they grow the white expands and the red lessens. The blue/gray with the orange red bellies get very large and are beautiful, be sure the red is up theirs sides a bit....remember the best Koi need to mostly show their patterns from above....in a pond you are usually looking down at them....have fun...it's a whole hobby within its self!!!!!! For me it's actually more soothing and relaxing than the tropical fish.

Picutes 1 and 2 (left to right) are Doitsu Koi...they have no scales except along their backs...I keep them as Disease and parasite barometers!! Having just skin and no protective scales makes it easy to detect problems...and their colors are bit more intense.

Last edited:

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
WOW 1st pic and 3rd pic.. my fave!

great fish!.. but no one likes pictures being taken against thier will....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom