Koi Hmpk Betta With Threadfin Rainbows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabyjaspan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey, all! I’m getting the koi of my dreams next week for my birthday, and I’m planning on putting him in my 10 gallon with my pair of threadfin rainbows (one male one female, they’re very friendly and swim around together). I’ve talked to some experienced fish keepers who’ve told me about their success with threadfin rainbows and plakats, so I wanted to see if any of y’all have tried this?

Side note: I’ve got a BN pleco and a Cory in there but I’m not worried about them it’s a very planted tank, too. Plenty of hiding spots and territory!

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A single Cory? If so I would recommend getting at least 5 more to make the one feel secure.

gabyjaspan

Valued Member
Reaction score
A single Cory? If so I would recommend getting at least 5 more to make the one feel secure.
I had a feeling someone would say that; she actually fended off the other ones I had before, and made sure they didn’t get any food! She’s a real alpha female type, didn’t get along well with the others, that’s why she’s alone

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have no other input then, except bettas have very varied personalities. Some don’t flare at their reflections, some will tear snails apart. You just need to watch and have a backup plan.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
10g? With all those fish I wouldn’t recommend having a betta in there with them. I really wouldn’t recommend having him/her int here with all those fish in such a small tank. Even if it would work well in a larger tank, larger tanks have more room for either fish to get away which a 10g simply cannot provide, even if it’s heavily planted. I could see them working OK in a larger tank as most rainbows tend to not bother other fish and if the betta is docile it should be alright, but not in a 10 that is already overstocked IMO(all but the betta need a larger tank, but this is only my opinion). Bettas also need a 20 long heavily planted for a community IMO. I don’t think BN’s are temp compatible with betta either...

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How is it that people can claim that Neon Tetras have evolved to tolerate warmer water, but do not say the same about Bristlenose Plecos, which are far more adaptable to begin with? I've seen BN kept anywhere from 70F to 82F and thrive at both and everywhere in between.

The Threadfins would probably prefer a bit more space, but I think they will be fine in a 10 since you only have one pair. They will not reach maximum size, however. I would suggest that you keep up on your water changes frequently. I have not kept Bettas with other fish, so I would say try it but keep an eye on the tank for a while. Watch the threads on the Threadfins; if they start getting short, you know who to blame.

gabyjaspan

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a 30 gal filter on there with weekly 50% water changes so bioload shouldn’t be an issue i have a backup plan if it doesn’t work out, so either way it’ll be fine, I just was curious if any of y’all had tried before with the threadfins. I’m gonna try and pick the most docile one, and I was also told that since the fins are short on plakats the fin nipping shouldn’t be a problem from the other fish. I may give my lfs the Cory, and just leave the rainbows and the BN

KakeHugs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How is it that people can claim that Neon Tetras have evolved to tolerate warmer water, but do not say the same about Bristlenose Plecos, which are far more adaptable to begin with? I've seen BN kept anywhere from 70F to 82F and thrive at both and everywhere in between.

The Threadfins would probably prefer a bit more space, but I think they will be fine in a 10 since you only have one pair. They will not reach maximum size, however. I would suggest that you keep up on your water changes frequently. I have not kept Bettas with other fish, so I would say try it but keep an eye on the tank for a while. Watch the threads on the Threadfins; if they start getting short, you know who to blame.
I agree, Ive almost always keep my BN plecos with bettas in the higher temp range and never had an issue.

gabyjaspan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, my little boy arrived at my LFS today, and he’s settling in very nicely! I was worried about conflict (why I started this thread) but the rainbows don’t mind him and all and he doesn’t even pay any mind (albeit he seems playfully curious) to the rainbows. He’s set up shop in the little temple I got him and he’s met with all the fish in the tank. Weak from shipping, but getting stronger as he scavenges for food! So far so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom