Koi fish questions.

gothic fish geeks

So my local animal control got a goldfish fish in at least I thought that was the case the web pages photo was really blurry and they labeled it as a cold water fish. So I decided I would go adopt it but when I showed up there was quite a surprise the supposed gold fish was a butterfly koi! and they were keeping it in a 2.5 gallon tank! I really like koi fish and couldn't bare to see him that way so I took him home. he is in a 40 gallon with 3 tiny goldfish he seems quit happy for now but I know that he needs a pond at some point. I will move him to my 65 gallon at some point but I need to cycle it first. So now I have several of questions. are there heaters large enough to heat a koi pond? I know that they are cold water fish but we can get sub 0 temperatures once in a while and I'm assuming that's too cold for them. what are the best books on koi fish? can I feed him goldfish food? what else should I know?

Timz

I don't know about ponds that much and espicialy their heaters. but there are some who put their fishes in aquariums during winter.
just w8 for sometime and he will grow might be hes a little slower then the others

junebug

I have a question as well about Koi. Hoping someone can help me.. I bought 6 little guys a while back and the one is staying really small. Hes tiny compared to the others. He eats when I feed them and hes active. Is this perhaps a birth defect? He seems happy so I'm not to worried I just would like to know if it is something serious or something he will live with. Thank you.

Start your own thread We wouldn't want everyone getting confused answering your question on someone else's thread now.

OP, yes, they make heaters for ponds. Depending on the size of the pond, you could do an inline heater for your sump, or just a plain ol' water heater.

I'd look for a store near you that sells pond supplies and see what's available.

Goldie food should be fine for the koi, as long as it's decent goldie food

Hamsaphina

Sub zero temperatures usually don't faze koi, just get a de-icer and call it good. Koi can survive to 32.1 Farenheit (I have overwintered koi in 32.1 degree water, and all made it just fine). As for goldfish flakes, it's perfectly fine, although once it gets bigger you might want sticks. Some books you might want to look for is the DK Encyclopedia of Aquarium and Pond Fish, might want to visit a Home Depot, they have a plethora of books on ponds. With the butterfly koi I have noticed they stay a little bit smaller, just make sure you have at least 2.5 deep water (Deeper is better) and don't feed him when it gets below 50 degrees. Also, do you mind telling us how big the fish is right now? That would help a bunch.

EDIT: Just realized you're in Alaska, if you decide to build an outdoor pond you will need at least a 5-6 foot depth and you will probably want multiple de-icers and airstones.

car 54

Koi in my pond have survived almost 20 degrees below zero don't feed fish below 50 degrees could make fish sick or kill them they can not digest food. I live in Connecticut temperature is not a problem. The pond must not freeze completely over gases trapped in water will kill fish. You need approximately 12 to 18 inch hole in ice for good gas exchange with atmosphere. Pond should be about 18 to 24 inches deep minimum depth to keep it from freezing to bottom. I use a five gallon plastic bucket. Drill 1/2 holes in bottom and lower half of bucket use small water pump around 350 gallons per hour. Line the bottom and sides of the bucket with course or medium filter material. Leave just enough room to put the pump in the middle of the bucket. About 2 to 3 inches on the bottom. Cover the pump up to three or four inches from the top. The pump should not have any air space around it this is needed to filter debris and what ever from clogging pump as this will be in the pond for months. Make your own size for shallower ponds. Pump should exhaust water out of pump straight up. Pvc pipe with adopters can extend pipe to 3 or 4 inches from waters surface this will keep a 12 inch hole or bigger in the ice. Much cheaper than using a heater. I have been using this system for 20 years no problems. Pump is a small pond pump. Koi should be fed food made for koi cheapest food I have found is Purina zoo line called MazurI pronounced MissourI after the state ask your loco feed store for this food can be ordered comes in 20 lb. bags bits for small for fish under 6 inches, nuggets for larger fish over 6 inches and a larger size for real large fish. I use Platinum nuggets M580 color enhancing this is the most expensive one. Information can be found on the internet.

car 54

Similar Aquarium Threads

• JustAFishServant
  • Koi
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
  • Christina98
  • Koi
Replies
Views
BottomDweller