Koi fish in an aquarium

1. S

Smtcoil New Member Member

So for a school project I have to raise koi. I plan on getting two 2 inch koi sometime soon, date still to be determined. Would I be able to keep them in a 10 gallon tank for about a month and a half? The tank is set up and has been running for about a week. It has a 4 stage filtration filter that filters around 100 gallons per hour.

I have a 200 gallon pond that I plan to move them into, however I don't have access to that pond until about mid august, when school starts. The pond is an indoor pond within our schools greenhouse so no need to worry about winterization. That pond has a filter that filters about 2000 gallons per hour.

All I am asking is if two 2 inch koi will be able to live in a 10 gallon tank for about a month and a half until able to be moved to the pond.

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Eh that depends on a lot of things. Koi will eat and poop A LOT, so you will need to have a very good filtration for the 10gal. A month I would say would be okay if you get one that's about a little less than an inch.

3. S

Secret Oasis Valued Member Member

For this school project does everyone have to do it or is it just you because if everyone does i doubt a 200 gallon pond will be able to hold them all and what will be happening to all the koi after the project is done because they grow to 3'. A 200 gallon pond wont hold them.

4. H

HuliJing New Member Member

I agree with oasis. It seems rather irresponsible of your school. 200 gallons isn't enough for even 1 full grown koi. Most ppl recommend 250 gallons for every adult koi. You should bring this to their attention and make sure they have plans for the fish when they get closer to their adult size. Also, I would at the very least have a 20 gallon tank with a very large, powerful filter. A very basic guideline is 10 gallons per inch of koi. That's at least 40 gallons for two 2in fish. I don't think a 10 gallon would be healthy at all for those fish and you'd constantly be struggling with water changes to keep down nitrites.

5. Sarah73

I agree with what they are saying and also your tank will have to cycle, so their will be high ammonia nitrites and nitrates. I would really not even recommend a koi for this project. Koi's are a lot of responsibility. I really don't think your teacher knows what you guys are getting yourself into or her for that matter.

6. OP
    OP
    S

I have heard that the rule of thumb for water is 2 gallons per inch of fish. I am prepared to do multiple water changes a week, and have done research on koi. I had already started this project last school year, it's an FFA project. What I do is a raise koi and then I sell them. Koi ponds are very popular in my area. I had one large koi in the pond last year, and I sold him at the end of the year. Now I need to get new koi for this year. All I want to know is if I could keep two small 2" koi in a ten gallon (I may be getting a 20 gallon so they could be moved into there once I get it). Their main home will be that pond at the school, once school starts.

Don't worry about the whole pond situation it's a well filtered pond, and I do maintenence on it weekly. 200 gallon pond, once the fish get about a foot big I would sell them and get new ones. I wouldn't dare keep more than 2 at a time in there due to fear of overstocking the pond. The pond had been good all of last year with one fish, but he was fairly large, about 2 ft. I wouldn't let the fish get that big. 1 ft. Then new fish and restart the cycle.

By the end of this project in school, I would maybe like to put in a koi pond at my home, bUT thats 3 years away so we could bRidge that at a different time.

Sooo main question, can I use the 10 gallon or no?

7. OP
    OP
    S

For those of you wondering about the project, it's just me, one single person using the pond. The project doesn't end until the end of highschool in 3 years. So until then, I keep raising koi and when they get big, I sell them to locals who want them for their pond.

8. Sarah73

You can't put 2 koi in a 10gal. The inch per a gallon rule is way out dated. You have to see how big they get and how much they poop. A 200gal pond is still to small for a full grown koi, but since you are only keeping them until they get 1ft I guess that's good. Why Don't you just keep some fish in the pond, so you don't have to start a cycle everytime?

9. c

cheese Valued Member Member

what is this school project? does everyone get a fish assigned to them? is everyone doing koi? are you allowed to choose your own fish? or is the fish aspect your own idea of the project?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

For them to be in there for a month and a half, i would suggest serious water changes at least bi-weekly (40-60% each change to keep everything in more manageable levels), most likely more often because they are "poop machines" just likes plecos and goldies. I understand what you are doing, it is a good thing you are able to rehome/sell them to people with ponds as I have seen some serious abuse to koi and goldfish because people think they are able to only grow to the size of the tank. They should be okay for that long, but keep up with water changes and avoid too much decoration.

To those admonishing, the op is not keeping the koi in the ten gallon permanently, but instead moving the fish (two/2) over to a highly filtered 200 gallon pond until they get about a foot in size. Then op plans on selling them to people with larger ponds that are looking for koi for said ponds. (Most people want larger fish in larger ponds, as they stand out better.) Future Farms of America is a sound thing, I have had to grow poinsettia (we didn't have the space for ponds at school, or we would have probably done fish as well) before, so I can understand growing fish (fish farming) out to sell.

11. OP
    OP
    S

As stated earlier, the projectwo is raising and selling koi fish. It is only I doing koi fish. Since it is only me, no, not everyone gets a fish assigned to them. Everyone has a different project. Mine is koi fish. I am the only one doing any sort of fish, and I have to get the fish so yes, I choose them. The fish is my aspect of the project. Only I take care of them, and only I have anything to do with them. No one else has anything to do with the pond. Like I said earlier, the pond is fine there is no need to worry about it.

12. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

They should be perfectly fine, for that short of a period (as I am sure you are willing to care very well for them as you are working hard to make them large and sellable as well as healthy) in a small tank. Good luck on the kois you get (the multi colored ones seem to be the most popular along with solid white/silver and solid black)!

13. OP
    OP
    S

As many people seem to be concerned with this pond, I will go into detail about it.

The pond itself is an above ground pond, made out of a 200 gallon horse trough. The horse trough was not used before this pond. It sits about 1 foot off the ground. The pond is about 2 ft deep. It's about 3 ft wide, The pond is inside a greenhouse which the temperature is kept at about 72 degrees inside year long. The pond temperature is kept at about 70 degrees.

The pond is filtered by a large filter, that filters around 54 gpm. Yes, gpm, not gph. The filter was not used before this pond. The water goes through a filter cartridge that is similar to one for a pool, but is not for a pool. Then it goes through a biological filtration of gravel. Then it goes through a chemical filter of activated carbon. Then the water leaves the filter and re-enters the pond through the waterfall.

The pond is aerated by the waterfall, but is also aerated by a large airstone.

The pond receives a 20% water change weekly, and a 100% water change monthly.

The pond is very well maintained, and is nothing to be worried about.

14. OP
    OP
    S

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the pond. The plant island will be removed until about March when we get out plants again.

15. c

cheese Valued Member Member

great :) sounds like a cool project. I was just concerned that a whole class may be assigned to raise koi fish, and though you have the equipment and knowledge, I assume a whole class would not have the funds to run koi ponds lol. I'm interested in seeing the koi grow up, hopefully you keep us updated with pics!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

Just want to stick my nose in here and say that project sounds like so much fun (I say having never done water changes in a pond). Wish they did this sort of thing when I was in school, would have loved to have a koi pond.

Seems to me that once people understand what your doing they are saying it will be fine as long as you keep up with water changes as you already stated you will do. I'm still getting to know fish keeping so take their advice over mine any day but my first thoughts are that with the small size of the fish when you get them a ten gallon with a nice filter all the water changes you plan to do and the short time they will be there sounds like a perfectly acceptable month and a half stop off before they head to that beautiful pond then eventually off to their permeant home. Maybe easier with a 20 gallon but you are willing to do the extra work with the ten gallon.

If you are really worried about it could always grab some of those big plastic tubs that people use for quarantine and keep them in there as a cheap but bigger temporary home. Anyway sounds like an awesome project! Love to pictures of them once they get some size on them.

17. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks for all the answers! This has really helped. Once i get them i will keep you updated on them, and post some pictures once i get them in the pond!

18. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Ok, I will admit I didn't read much of the reposes above (busy). No way you should put Koi in 200 gal. Go with Goldfish. Get some cheap ones at the petstore (feeders $.10 to $.25). Get a few extra because you will have some losses (not cared for well when arrive at store typically). They should do ok at your school.

19. S

Secret Oasis Valued Member Member

Blk i dont understand why its not okay to keep 2 koi in a 200 gallon pond with a 3240 gph filter till they are a foot long. I think its fine and for the 10 gal it would just be alot of water changes till its moved into the pond but id love to be kept updated. i wish my school did something like this.

20. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Reason schools don't do this is because no one knows how to properly care for the fish. On a stair way like this kids are going to throw all kinds of in that pond. Feel bad for these fish.