Koi Changing Colors?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by smaurer3076, Apr 17, 2017.

1. smaurer3076

smaurer3076 Valued Member Member

I have a koi female betta that I've had for going on 2 weeks and she's starting to turn more orange than red. I'm wondering if she's just changing colors like I've heard koi bettas do or if something is wrong. Excuse the poor picture quality but she's very hard to take pictures of lol. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

She looks normal and healthy to me, koi are marbles and will change color over their lifetime, possibly even losing the koi coloration :)

3. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Not just kois :), all bettas can change color! When they are young their color can get darker or lighter, sometimes even add or remove color!

4. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

I'm worried though because I have seen her scratch against the driftwood and plants a couple times and I'm wondering if it's because I have high iron in my water?

5. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

I'm hoping in her case that she turns blue and black with a little bit of red!

6. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

It's due to the jumping gene they have. Makes them change color throughout their lives. I bought mine mostly pink with some blue and red, and in a month, turned blue, and now is cream with red black and blue/purple! It's quite fun to see what they become

7. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

What are your parameters? Is the tank cycled?

8. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

That's so cool!

9. OP
    OP
    smaurer3076

Last time I checked (which was 2 days ago) the parameters were
    0 ppm ammonia
    0 ppm nitrate
    0 ppm nitrite

And my tank had cycled for a month with stability and then slowly added fish throughout 3 months after.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice