Koi Changing Colors?

smaurer3076

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a koi female betta that I've had for going on 2 weeks and she's starting to turn more orange than red. I'm wondering if she's just changing colors like I've heard koi bettas do or if something is wrong. Excuse the poor picture quality but she's very hard to take pictures of lol.
41a46cdb9cf7ea511ecde3dbad995160.jpg
c37f789dd9a459d20e7a6d269fc87669.jpg

Aster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
She looks normal and healthy to me, koi are marbles and will change color over their lifetime, possibly even losing the koi coloration

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not just kois , all bettas can change color! When they are young their color can get darker or lighter, sometimes even add or remove color!

smaurer3076

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
She looks normal and healthy to me, koi are marbles and will change color over their lifetime, possibly even losing the koi coloration
I'm worried though because I have seen her scratch against the driftwood and plants a couple times and I'm wondering if it's because I have high iron in my water?

smaurer3076

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not just kois , all bettas can change color! When they are young their color can get darker or lighter, sometimes even add or remove color!
I'm hoping in her case that she turns blue and black with a little bit of red!

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's due to the jumping gene they have. Makes them change color throughout their lives. I bought mine mostly pink with some blue and red, and in a month, turned blue, and now is cream with red black and blue/purple! It's quite fun to see what they become

smaurer3076

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's due to the jumping gene they have. Makes them change color throughout their lives. I bought mine mostly pink with some blue and red, and in a month, turned blue, and now is cream with red black and blue/purple! It's quite fun to see what they become
That's so cool!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom