Koi and betta living together

Bellygod

So, im new. The fish guy sold me my koi which I understand really will need a bigger home in a while.

Later, I got a betta splendens. They get along surprisingly well. The beta doesn't even try to compete for food so I just feed her on the other side of the tank while the koi feeds.

I am enjoying them. May I add another fish? May I have some recommendations?

CopperIsEpiK

So, im new. The fish guy sold me my koi which I understand really will need a bigger home in a while.

Later, I got a betta splendens. They get along surprisingly well. The beta doesn't even try to compete for food so I just feed her on the other side of the tank while the koi feeds.

I am enjoying them. May I add another fish? May I have some recommendations?
What size tank do you have? I am a beginner too, but I think Kois need a large pond to thrive, and in numbers. Dont quote me on this though

Flyfisha

koi is a name that can also be used to describe a fashionable colour that many breeders work into a few species of fish. Koi angels, koi betta etc Red black and white etc.

The original koi is a very large goldfish. A pond fish quickly reaching over two feet.

A snapshot would help?

Bellygod

What size tank do you have? I am a beginner too, but I think Kois need a large pond to thrive, and in numbers. Dont quote me on this though
32gal
koi is a name that can also be used to describe a fashionable colour that many breeders work into a few species of fish. Koi angels, koi betta etc Red black and white etc.

The original koi is a very large goldfish. A pond fish quickly reaching over two feet.

A snapshot would help?
Here u go

16614795927326833922180682125574.jpg

jtjgg

is your tank cycled? nitrogen cycle

koi should not be sitting on the bottom of the tank like that. yes they need about 300g or larger pond.

PeterFishKeepin

Sorry bellygod,

koi should be in large ponds 900-1000gallons minimum.. they get huge and are social fish, you seriously need to rehome that fish, ive got a 850gal pond and after seeing how big some koi get i dont feel like it's fair for me to put a large fish into my pond... you need to return or rehome that koi ASAP if its at bottom of the tank it must be quite stressed....

Bellygod

Sorry bellygod,

koi should be in large ponds 900-1000gallons minimum.. they get huge and are social fish, you seriously need to rehome that fish, ive got a 850gal pond and after seeing how big some koi get i dont feel like it's fair for me to put a large fish into my pond... you need to return or rehome that koi ASAP if its at bottom of the tank it must be quite stressed....
Oh. No! I'll have to get on that....ive grown rather attached to him.....

Flyfisha

Could we please get a side on picture Bellygod? It’s still possible that is not a 100% koi but just has the koi colours in a regular goldfish?

It’s never easy returning fish .

Today I took some of my juvenile rice fish to one the better shops in my town. Only to see the bag unceremoniously plopped in a tank with flipping nippy danios . It’s never easy returning or rehoming fish .

PeterFishKeepin

Could we please get a side on picture Bellygod? It’s still possible that is not a 100% koi but just has the koi colours in a regular goldfish?
Agreed flyfisha,

its hard to see but i think i can see some koi barbels.. not 100% sure...

Bellygod

Here they are, I've since done some learning since I acquired my koi. I am making arrangements for him to be rehoused with a buddy who has a pond. I will keep him a little while longer tho

Attachments

• 20220830_165515.jpg
    20220830_165515.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220830_165511.jpg
    20220830_165511.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 26

Bellygod

Hi guys,

So, I think I've made a grave error. I purchased 4 red fin tetras to go with my koi and bettas. I purchased an additional sponge filter to help with the increased load.
I now discover to my shock that my normally placid koi seems to be on a murderous rampage for the tetras.
My betta is the chillest fish in this tank.

Any suggestions on how to lower the aggression of my koi?
Please help

jtjgg

one reason fish get aggressive is overcrowding

Bellygod

I see. Would adding plants help?
is your tank cycled? nitrogen cycle

koi should not be sitting on the bottom of the tank like that. yes they need about 300g or larger pond.
Yes the tank is cycled

PeterFishKeepin

Hi Bellygod,

From what i can see it looks like a comet goldfish not a koi which is good news. It will go great in a pond that is over 100gallons. Having a betta and tetras with a goldfish isn't going to work well.

The tetra will like water between 23-27C
the betta will like water between 24-27C
the goldfish will like water between 10-23C

Goldfish do better at around the 18-20C mark while tetra and betta wouldn't be very happy so the goldfish needs to go ASAP, then in the tank you can have 1 betta and 6+ tetra and should be good you could add a small community fish but its 32gals so don't go overboard.

For now i would leave the temperature of the tank at around 19-22C...
live plants would be good with betta and tetra but goldfish would just eat them up super quick so would be a waste of money, id wait to goldfish is in your friends pond before adding any plants.

Bellygod

Ok so thanks for the guidance so far. Comet goldfish? Oh dear, I was pretty sold on my koi being, well a, a koi. May I try to upload clearer pictures for a second look?

jtjgg

more close up pics would help. there's a glare in that 2nd pic.

Bellygod

What size tank do you have? I am a beginner too, but I think Kois needs a large pond to thrive and in numbers. Don't quote me on this though
32 gallons
Hi Bellygod,

From what i can see it looks like a comet goldfish not a koi which is good news. It will go great in a pond that is over 100gallons. Having a betta and tetras with a goldfish isn't going to work well.

The tetra will like water between 23-27C
the betta will like water between 24-27C
the goldfish will like water between 10-23C

Goldfish do better at around the 18-20C mark while tetra and betta wouldn't be very happy so the goldfish needs to go ASAP, then in the tank you can have 1 betta and 6+ tetra and should be good you could add a small community fish but its 32gals so don't go overboard.

For now i would leave the temperature of the tank at around 19-22C...
live plants would be good with betta and tetra but goldfish would just eat them up super quick so would be a waste of money, id wait to goldfish is in your friends pond before adding any plants.
So, regarding temperatures, I live in the tropics.....are all my fish doomed?
Incidentally, I received a temperature gauge. My temps throughout the afternoon into the evening has been in the 30 c range.

PeterFishKeepin

So, regarding temperatures, I live in the tropics.....are all my fish doomed?
Incidentally, I received a temperature gauge. My temps throughout the afternoon into the evening has been in the 30 c range.
Well 30C is a bit too much for goldfish and the tetra/betta.... you could put a ziplock full of ice cubes in the tank every couple hours to cool the tank.....

That goldfish or koi needs to be rehomed asap.

Noroomforshoe

Koi have barbels/whiskers, goldfish dont. I think the fish in the picture was labled as a koi goldfish, as in, a common goldfish with 3 or more colors. very confusing and misleading. However an actual koi could cost 60-600$, and grow to more then 24 inches, so you are better off imop.
Good luck!, Glad you found him a home!

jtjgg

wait what?! 30c is too much for goldfish? 30c is 86F, i'm a goldfish keeper in Houston and during the summer the water temps in my stock pond gets to about 92f/33c

goldfish are NOT "coldwater fish" they are temperate and do well in cold or warm waters.

many fancy goldfish are bred and raised in outdoor ponds in the Tropics.

also, a small generic koi of that size is about $9 at Petsmart/Petco.

a better close up pic of its head would help positively id it.

this pic was about 3 years ago during August. all goldfish are alive and large and have spawned and had some babies have also gotten large and healthy.
full-jpg.620726

Bellygod

Ok so here's the best I can do for not ill try to take more.

Goldfish or koi

Attachments

• 20220901_182704.jpg
    20220901_182704.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220901_182702.jpg
    20220901_182702.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220901_182700.jpg
    20220901_182700.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220901_182658.jpg
    20220901_182658.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 12

PeterFishKeepin

Well i can see some small white barbels so it could be a koi actually....

I've kept goldfish at 30C outdoors in summer but it really isn't the ideal temp.. the more comfortable temp is around the 20C mark they can be kept in a really large temperature barrier but that doesn't mean extreme cold or heat is best...

Bellygod

Well i can see some small white barbels so it could be a koi actually....

I've kept goldfish at 30C outdoors in summer but it really isn't the ideal temp.. the more comfortable temp is around the 20C mark they can be kept in a really large temperature barrier but that doesn't mean extreme cold or heat is best...
Cool. Could you estimate the fishes age based on the photos

PeterFishKeepin

judging by the size id say max 1-2yrs old

Bellygod

Ok so here's the best I can do for not ill try to take more.

Goldfish or koi
Got a couple more

Attachments

• 20220901_184816.jpg
    20220901_184816.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220901_184751.jpg
    20220901_184751.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220901_184712.jpg
    20220901_184712.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220902_071837.jpg
    20220902_071837.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 6

e_watson09

That's a koi for sure, I see his little whiskers and also he has a koi body shape versus a common goldfish.

Bellygod

That's a koi for sure, I see his little whiskers and also he has a koi body shape versus a common goldfish.
Ok cool. Well definitely need to re house him. Him being a big goldfish would have been better for my tank. So far he hasn't eaten anyone but I've notice him try more than once. I guess I need to re house him. Can a gold fish live peacefully with red fin Tetras and one betta? What suggestions are there? Thank you in advance

PeterFishKeepin

Ok cool. Well definitely need to re house him. Him being a big goldfish would have been better for my tank. So far he hasn't eaten anyone but I've notice him try more than once. I guess I need to re house him. Can a gold fish live peacefully with red fin Tetras and one betta? What suggestions are there? Thank you in advance
correct that koi should be rehomed in the next month, it is already to big for your 23gallon tank.

sorry goldfish and koi neither can live in a 23gallon tank and with a betta and tetra isn't going to work. you could get swordtails, molly or platy they kinda look like mini goldfish they come in many colours if you get it orange it will look quite similar but stays small enough for that size tank...

keep us updated on the rehoming!

Bellygod

Hey guys, my koi is now in a very large pond with loads of space to live. It's intended lifespan comfortably.

Thanks for the guidance. Now I only have Redfin tetras <4> and one very relaxed betta fish.

I'll look into platys

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Christina98
  • Koi
Replies
Views
RyleighJ
  • BamBamSorg
  • Koi
Replies
Views
Manjit
  • Jheila
  • Koi
Replies
Views
Flowergarden129
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
Lucy

Did You Know...

OPTIONAL: You can tighten up your account security by setting up two factor authentication for your login. You will know anytime your account is used because you have to enter a secret code to get into the forum.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom