Known jumpers?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by ILikeFishies, Jan 1, 2013.

1. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishiesValued MemberMember

Hey guys, i was just thinking back on somethings, and i noticed that alot of my fish in the past have jumped to their deaths :jawdrop:

I was thinking that maybe one day when i save up on the funds :D . I wanna make one of those indoor ponds, You know the ones which are just like these big tubs. Because i noticed that my mum has some of those really really big tubs in storage, so i wanted to take em out and make a pond in my room. They looked pretty big o.o. But i dont intend to put a cover over the tub, So any idea what fish i could possibly put inside? Just wanted to make a list of the known jumpers so that i would avoid unnecessary fish suicide u_u

The jumpers that i've experienced were
    -chinese algae eater
    -guppy
    -Platy
    -Swordtail
    -Zebra Danio

Maybe they aren't known jumpers, but thats basically the jumpers i've experienced :/. Any others you guys think i should avoid for my future pond :D?

My mum suggested i get those fancy gold fish. So then i looked up some types of gold fish, and the ones that don't jump are the black moore? aaaand some of those really slow moving ones o_O which i think are the lionhead and ryukin. I'm not too sure how true these facts are though.

But then i know gold fish can grow to be pretty large and its not recommended to get gold fish unless your tank is 30 gallons and above. i Doubt my pond would be 30 gallons, From a rough estimation, i'd say the pond is about 20 gallons if i'm not mistaken.

I also looked up on whether gold fish are jumpers, apparently the fancy gold fish are not jumpers.

Now all these things i searched up , i have no idea whether its true or not, So just want to confirm :). And also some suggestions on what fish i could get for the pond :) 20+gallons

2. Ilyas

IlyasValued MemberMember

A lot of Plecos will "Jump" as their habit seems to be to dart from the bottom to the top. Also rope fish have a habit of escaping tanks too. Any type of Carp or Minnow would be out too as their instincts are fright or flight. Koi are probably a great choice but they can be expensive too.

3. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Covers are what you need my friend.

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes, a top will keep them in.

I think fish jumping out is a sign of stress, whether it is to escape another fish, or because the tank is too small.

5. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

Aw but a cover on a pond wouldnt be nice :(. And also, i've been to some of those really big pet shops, and i see they have these show tanks, with no covers at all, and the tank is filled almost to the very top, i dont see any of the fish jumping o.o. The fish i saw inside were tetras and platies

6. Jaysee

oh it's a pond? I don't know how you would prevent that.

7. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Most any loaches will jump, catfish can all jump, barbs(ime) seem to be at least capable of trying, eel like fish normally jump. You may want to try gourami? How big is the pond in question? Does it have a heater and filter?

Top cover is a good way to discourage jumping as well. Get some floating plants/structures to cover the top of the water around the edges.

8. psalm18.2

Or to feed. Fish jump in the wild to eat bugs.

Wait, you have a pond IN your room?

9. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

no no, Its just a plan o_O. I've mentioned it all in my first post.
    Its one of those tub ponds. It will be in my room because my mum wouldn't like it in the living room since my cats are usually running around there :p But not in my room.

10. Jaysee

I wouldn't call 20 or 30 gallons a pond, but that's just me :)

11. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

its a mini pond xD. Always saw videos of it, looked so cute and pretty :p Thought i'd try making one of those

12. psalm18.2

Oh. Then go to the hardware store. In the lighting section there's a material called egg crate. It's plastic with a square pattern. Place that over the tub with a rock. Should keep the fish in the bucket.

13. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

oo, so how about fancy gold fish? Are they known jumpers?

14. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Not that I'm aware of, but more than one in a 20G is too many IMO.

My idea of a fun setup would be (100G+) paludarium with Archer Fish, now that'd be a cool indoor pond :D

Back to your question, I'll add Endlers Livebearers to the list of known jumpers.

Anyone had experience of angels jumping ?

15. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

trust me, if i could make a 100g pond, i would xD. But i think the most i can go is probably not more than 30g :< My room isnt big enough D:<

16. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Do you know what your water parameters are? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates? Fish will jump if any of these are out of range.
    Carol

17. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

Well i'm actually just talking about jumpers :x. The ones that jumped in the past was when i was doing a monthly cleaning and water change, and took them out temporarily so that i could clean their tank.

Usually i just do a water change every 4 days, but monthly i'll do all the cleaning, like scrubbing some of the algae on the walls and cleaning the filter and etc. Then they jump out of the bucket i put them in =/

18. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Goldfish jump. I have seen them in the wild.

19. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Rainbow fish are jumpers.. many top feeders can jump just because they may think they see something up there to eat.

Killi fish
    My husband had neons jump.. but I'm pretty sure it was his water parameters before he met me
    I once had a betta jump... but was there to pop him back in.. not even sure what he was thinking at the time

20. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

You take your fish out to clean their tank?
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice