Knowledge Of Eheim 100 Heater

koigal

I just bought a Eheim 100 for my 40gal. koi fry tank. Koi don't really need the heater, but I am cycling this tank with fry in and it was down to 62F. I'm a little nervous putting it in as the temp is low and I don't know how fast the heater will heat. What is the best way to get them to say 75F? Also please look at photo and help me with placement of the heater. I have a divider in the center to keep the big ones from eating the rest of their siblings. So I can't put the heater next to that, right? Do these heaters get hot? How accurate are they?

Well I just read all the instructions and I'm confused. lol Does anyone have a simple plug and play option with good placement to keep them at 75F for the winter?
tank 10-4.jpg

RyanLee

Aqueon has some preset heaters that are preset at 78F. I would opt for an aqueon pro that away you can adjust it and repurpose later. I have some eheim jagers too but they require more fiddling to get their thermostats calibrated. Aqueon pros are more plug and play, probably accute to about 1.5 degrees. You may want a 150watt for a 40 gallon.
Edit: I would just set the thermostat low on the 100w heater you have and ease it up slow. 100watts isn't going to heat 40 gals very fast. My guess is it would take a full day. I have a 150 watt heater in a 40b, it takes about 12 hours to raise the tank temp a few degrees, but I'm keeping it at 93f right now for a treatment.

Islandvic

Place it to the right of the divider , so its away from the bubbler.

Leave the heater in tank unplugged for 30 min.

Then set it to 75f and plug in.

Monitor the tank with a thermometer.

Depending on what actual temperature is after a couple of hours, the thermostat may have to be adjusted up or down, until you get your target temp.

Dont be surprised if the final thermostat setting is a couple of degrees +/- off.

This is normal.

koigal

Place it to the right of the divider , so its away from the bubbler.

Leave the heater in tank unplugged for 30 min.

Then set it to 75f and plug in.

Monitor the tank with a thermometer.

Depending on what actual temperature is after a couple of hours, the thermostat may have to be adjusted up or down, until you get your target temp.

Dont be surprised if the final thermostat setting is a couple of degrees +/- off.

This is normal.
Do you mean the opposite side the bubbler is on or on the same side inbetween the bubbler and sponge filter? Will the water circulate the temp to the other side? The little fry are in the part with bubbler.

koigal

Do you mean the opposite side the bubbler is on or on the same side inbetween the bubbler and sponge filter? Will the water circulate the temp to the other side? The little fry are in the part with bubbler.
Well I put the heater in, turned it to 74F and woke up this morning it was still on tank was 77. So I unplugged it. How do you calibrate these things?

flyin-lowe

IMO it would be easier to just turn it down until it gets to the temps you want, I'm not sure if they can be actually calibrated. As long as you have a thermometer that is accurate I wouldn't worry about getting the temp guage on the heater accurate, as long as it will stay consistent

koigal

IMO it would be easier to just turn it down until it gets to the temps you want, I'm not sure if they can be actually calibrated. As long as you have a thermometer that is accurate I wouldn't worry about getting the temp guage on the heater accurate, as long as it will stay consistent

Thank you, I was able to calibrate it. Works great now!

Cichlidude

Well I put the heater in, turned it to 74F and woke up this morning it was still on tank was 77. So I unplugged it. How do you calibrate these things?
Yes you can calibrate the Eheims by following the instructions that came with the heater. Just turn the calibration dial.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
GlennO
  • dmorse66
  • Heater
Replies
Views
dmorse66
Replies
Views