Know if my mollies are mating How Do I

1. FishGuy4 Initiate Member

the male keeps bumping the female in the belly is this a mating ritual or is it some sort of fighting

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the site! Mollys are livebearers and do it the same way we do, as opposed to fish that scatter eggs and then fertilize them.

That is part of the ritual. They will do also this wth pregnant females do fascilitate them dropping fry, so they can mate with her again. They are relewntless which is why 3 females for each male is needed.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!
    all livebearers do that and if shes with a boy, shes pregnant....can you fill in your aquarium info ? it helps us know where your tank stands and can help us give better advice!

with livebearers , its best to have 1m to 3-4f so the male doesnt hound the girl so much she aborts or dies....

4. Sonfish Member Member

I have a limited knowledge on Mollies ( just started with some myself) but from watching them it looks like the male will kinda sniff or nudge the underside of the female and she will either try and move away and they start chasing around or if she is receptive she will kinda turn her body head down like shes looking at the bottom and he will be able to breed..
    Thats just from observations tho

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Good observation!

6. FishGuy4 Initiate Member

my tank is six gallons with the two mollies and a couple really small cardinal tetras i have had them now for 1 month i change half water every week and the water is 78 consistantly. do you think i have room for one more female

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like the picture on the box :) I think you could put some ghost shrimp and a snail in there, but not another fish.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im sorry to say, but you barely have room for the fish you have now :( and he is going to continue to hound her and thats not good....can you check out craigslist.org for some great tank deals? this setup isnt going to work for the fish you have for too much longer

9. FishGuy4 Initiate Member

the man at the store sold the fish and said they would be fine this is what he reccomended. is this a mating sign though

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

unfortunately, fish stores are out to make money off YOU...they dont always give the right advice unless they can make the mighty buck....and MOST of us have been there..and yes it probably is him wanting to mate but he will not leave her alone and will probably stress her to death in that size tank..you need 1 male to 3-4 females so the lone female wont be harassed to death...

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, it is a mating sign.

I agree with you - the man at the store SOLD you the fish. The SELL people lots of things. Unfortunately, they make more money on you by selling you new fish every couple months then selling you a single betta that will live happly in there for his entire life.

12. FishGuy4 Initiate Member

do i have any available room for one more female

my six gallon is a nanocube does that help

i have a betta plaket in a bowl for now working on getting him a tank

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

IMO ...no you dont have room for anything else

great job! they really like a heated filtered tank

14. FishGuy4 Initiate Member

how long does it take the pregnant molly to give birth from the time they mate to when the fry are born

15. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

she could have been pregnant from the time you got her if there were males in the tank you got her from..but usually its 26-31 days ...she will get squared off in her belly area and have a dark spot near her anal area....

16. FishGuy4 Initiate Member

thanks

keep you guys posted

17. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

please use the edit button when you need to post back to back posts ..thank you !
    GREAT! hope things go ok!!!!!

18. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I hope things go ok too but for mollies to be happy and healthy I have read up that 30g is the minimum needed tank size as they like their swimming space. Unfortunatly I have to agree with shawnie and I really believe you should consider sourcing a bigger tank to save both you and your fish from stress.

I had a RTS in a 20g on the advice of a pet shop that I USED to use, when I put him in my 125g he grew about 2 inches in a month and I always ask on here and research online before buying any fish because the pet shops are either just sales people who will say anything to make a quick buck.

19. FishGuy4 Initiate Member

my mollies are ballon mollies. last night i noticed that there is a quite dark spot by her anal area is she pregnant? it was not they before and she looks a little fatter? does the black spot mean she is close to giving birth?

20. Diggly Well Known Member Member

all mollies need a bigger tank than the one you have for them.

It does sound like she is but I strongly suggest you buy a bigger tank before they start having fry incase any survive and add even more of a bioload to your already overstocked tank.