Knocked up? Boy? Girl? AAAAAAAAAAH!

Rbacchiega
Alright, so I've never owned Kribs before and I went out and got three for a 30 gallon tank. I was told there was two females and a male...now I don't know. They all have pink bellies, except when I try to get a picture, so I'm lost. Anyways, heres the best pics I could get....HELP!

Oh, and I think one might be carrying, because she's getting fatter and fatter and a super red belly.

This is the maybe pregnant one...the red is intense, but for the picture

189.jpg

The other two:

190.jpg

191.jpg

Allie
They are ALL female...and all needing a male each. lol
The males look like this. It was my last male who died

capekate
Beautiful Kribs Rbacchiega! Wish they had those at my LFS. They only have the golden, ones that look lemon yellow and longer fins. I should have picked them up!

Your krib photos are great... one does look pregnant, but I really wouldnt know about that I will leave that to the experts to help you determine if it is or not.

Allie....
Your photo of your last male krib... Was so very gorgeous!
You took a fantastic shot. Hope you entered it in the fish photo contest?

~ kate

Rbacchiega
that's what I was affraid of.

So is it safe to say I need to look for a longer dorsal fin and little coloration?

and will 6 be okay in a 33 gallon?

Allie
that's what I was affraid of.

So is it safe to say I need to look for a longer dorsal fin and little coloration?

and will 6 be okay in a 33 gallon?
They will fight once they start breeding, you may have to separate them. A 33g should be fine until you find out who the dominant fish/pair are.

Allie
Allie....
Your photo of your last male krib... Was so very gorgeous!
You took a fantastic shot. Hope you entered it in the fish photo contest?

~ kate
Thanks, no I haven't I have a couple entered already. I'll put him in for the next time.

Rbacchiega
I read that you can also sex kribs by looking at the tail...if it has a dot chances are it's a male, is this correct? If so I have one male and two females already in the tank and am floating a bag with three more males.

Allie
I read that you can also sex kribs by looking at the tail...if it has a dot chances are it's a male, is this correct? If so I have one male and two females already in the tank and am floating a bag with three more males.
I wouldn't go by that some females get caudal fin dots too. The dorsal fin on the the male is longer, more pointed & ususally has an orange stripe along the top. Females have stubby bodies compared to the males.
The first pix on the first site is a gorgeous male.

Rbacchiega
Well, I *think* I now have 3 and 3. The colored stripe on three of them goes all the way to the end of the fin, they have a bigger "jaw" and seem more long and slender.

But, seeing how they are still kind of small, I"ll have to wait to really be able to tell. Two females are huge and super red, so I"m assuming that a) they're carrying or b) they are dominant ones in the tank

thanks for all your help allie

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
celizabethh3
Replies
Views
Jayda97
Replies