Knife fish id

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Chach30, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Chach30

Chach30Valued MemberMember

Hey can someone tell me what this guy is

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

Clown knife

3. OP
    OP
    Chach30

Cool thanks

4. Skyy2112

Skyy2112Valued MemberMember

Never seen a clown knife like that, generally more grey than silver w/ a line of dots.

African knife?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2016
  5. AichmalotizoWell Known MemberMember

African knife is brownish to grayish brown, and is a solid color. Clown knifefish don't have stripes t. It looks real young. Stripes make me think this is more likely a chitala chitala, as the wiki for them says this.
    C. Ornanata is the clown knife.

What size tank is it chach? It's gonna need a huge one, with a most likely maximum size of 30 inches long, tank should be around 4 feet deep, and probably needs to be at least six feet long.

6. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

The knife is obviously a juvenile, and juvenile C. ornata have the striped pattern as well, so it is a bit soon to be positive about the species ID. It changes as they mature. A six foot tank really isn't big enough for either one of these fish.

7. OP
    OP
    Chach30

It's not my fish and idk the tank size... I was just trying to figure it out... I Googled but couldn't figure it out

8. Skyy2112

Skyy2112Valued MemberMember

All I know is a clown knife his size would be Polka-Dotted already. Thanks for showing me yet another knifefish I hadnt seen. =]

9. OP
    OP
    Chach30

I hadn't either.... if there was one that stayed around 6in or so I'd get one

10. AichmalotizoWell Known MemberMember

Haha, I knew I should have hedged my bets and assumed Juvie C. Ornatata had stripes. Tank size was really just a rough guess, gained on doubling the fishes max size. Im not at all surprised to see someone shoot that down. I'm guess 10-12ft, ie indoor pond xD, would be more appropriate?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice