Clown knife

3. OP
    OP
    Chach30

Chach30 Valued Member Member

Cool thanks

4. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

Never seen a clown knife like that, generally more grey than silver w/ a line of dots.

African knife?

5. A

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

African knife is brownish to grayish brown, and is a solid color. Clown knifefish don't have stripes t. It looks real young. Stripes make me think this is more likely a chitala chitala, as the wiki for them says this.
    C. Ornanata is the clown knife.

What size tank is it chach? It's gonna need a huge one, with a most likely maximum size of 30 inches long, tank should be around 4 feet deep, and probably needs to be at least six feet long.

6. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The knife is obviously a juvenile, and juvenile C. ornata have the striped pattern as well, so it is a bit soon to be positive about the species ID. It changes as they mature. A six foot tank really isn't big enough for either one of these fish.

7. OP
    OP
    Chach30

It's not my fish and idk the tank size... I was just trying to figure it out... I Googled but couldn't figure it out

8. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

All I know is a clown knife his size would be Polka-Dotted already. Thanks for showing me yet another knifefish I hadnt seen. =]

9. OP
    OP
    Chach30

I hadn't either.... if there was one that stayed around 6in or so I'd get one

10. A

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Haha, I knew I should have hedged my bets and assumed Juvie C. Ornatata had stripes. Tank size was really just a rough guess, gained on doubling the fishes max size. Im not at all surprised to see someone shoot that down. I'm guess 10-12ft, ie indoor pond xD, would be more appropriate?