kitty litter as substrate

1. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I have read in a few pages now that there are people using kitty litter as substrate? would t be safe to buy the kind that dont have any scents and things like that, wash it out really well and use it as a substrate?

2. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Hi Tony, that really sounds gross:;laughing but I guess if it works thats all that would matter......

3. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

:;laughing
    hahaha! clean ofcourse :giggle:

4. mathas Well Known Member Member

5. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

thanks! I'll give i'll read it right now :)

6. Borisbbadd Guest

I was just wondering,

after a while, would'nt it break down and turn into

a muddy mess..........:;dk

7. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

ok... no WAY! i was just curious, never! i think i would go for sand instead.
    Thanks mathas!

8. crazedACD Member Member

Oh wow, I don't think I'd be comfortable taking the chance with that stuff. Pool filter sand for me..$10 for 50lbs, cheaper than kitty litter!

9. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

+1, pool filter sand is very cheap and all the fish that I've kept with it seem to like it.

10. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

sounds good! now if i cna get a pool store here LOL i will search!

11. Godfather6reat Initiate Member

you would think since your basic kitty litter is just clay

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Tony. I'm glad you did your research first. You would end up with a really big mess and probably dead fish if you tried it. Just the thought even sounds nasty LOL
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Ken

13. Neji Member Member

This might sound like a rhetorical question.. but how do you get clean kitty litter? I thought the litter cats produce is dirty and smelly :S

14. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

I meant as ine never used before LOL

BTW, im going with sand, im gonna start washing it tonight

15. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Lol, sounds like a good choice ;)

16. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You'll love pool filter sand ;)
    Carol

17. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

LOL its not pool filter sand, couldnt find any. Just regular play sand.... i was too lazy to clean it today LOL i will do it tomorrow. Nice to see you back carol :)

18. Bear Initiate Member

Did I read something into the kitty litter that I shouldn't have ....to use it as substrate to grow plants and cover it with your choice of gravel?

19. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

He's talking about using it straight out of the bag....cats don't produce litter on their own. ;)