kitchen sea salt

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by wonton55912, Apr 1, 2010.

1. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

can you use kitchen sea salt in an aquarium?

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Nope, you have to buy special aquarium salt which is expensive.

3. OP
    OP
    w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

:rolleyes:
    sigh

4. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Actually, real sea salt should work, as it is simply evaporated sea water. That being said, I can get a bag of Instant Ocean for the same amount that I pay for a small container of quality sea salt. Morton and the other food salt companies have to pay more to insure that their facilities are rated to produce food-grade products. There's less control on aquarium products, which means less production cost. In the end, the cost to make marine water with food-grade sea salt would likely be prohibitive, and pointless, since you can get marine mix for much cheaper.

Edit: I forgot to mention; there is more to making marine water than just adding some salt. You need to have a refractometer or other method of measuring salinity, so that you can get the correct amount of salt.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  5. locoyo386

locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

As long as it is real sea salt, it will be ok. Note however, that there is more to the salt mix than just salt. If you are running or going to run a reef, I would not recomend it at all. If you are doing fish only tank, than it might be ok, but you will have to deal with pH, and Alkailnity, and other stuff that is automatically incorporated into the design of the salt mix, buffers additives are already in the mix.

Also as mentioned above the cost might not be really that big of a difference to justify using it.

6. z

zeddy Valued Member Member

dont do it buy some salt its not that expencive

7. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

8. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

*whispers* Shawnie, this is in the saltwater forum..Unless you're saying freshwater are better, and don't bother with salties. ;)

9. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ooops....ty meenu :;laughing
    whispers back"what a brunette moment for me again! " LOL
    didnt know wonton was doing a salty tank ;D

10. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Also remember, that a lot of Kitchen/Table salt, whilst 'brewed' by evaporating sea water, it also contains anti-caking agents, thus no good for aquariums.

11. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

and most people by iodized salt...if you must, at least get pure salt.

12. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Both excellent points. I forgot about those, because I buy pure sea salt (there is nothing in it but evaporated sea water, containing all of the trace minerals you'd find in the sea it came from). I forget that Morton makes sea salt, as do a number of other brands, and they use varying levels of additives to make their products more "consumer friendly."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice