Kit Or Buy Separately?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Thetropical490, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Thetropical490

Thetropical490 New Member Member

I was wondering if I should get a kit for a 20g aquarium or buy it all separately. I'm leaning towards buying it separately as it would help getting quality equipment but if you know any good kits for a good price I'd like to know.

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

all depends... i have 4 top fin 10 gallon starter tanks divided for my bettas. I sell the filter and keep the LED light plus heater. The light is not for growing plants but works for bettas. However i bought a 20gallon all separately. The light is much better and you could grow plants. But its way more pricey. What is the main need for this tank? any live plants?

3. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

I personally love kits because some come with heaters that are like, $20 heaters and they are just better for the buck!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Craigslist will get you everything for pretty cheap. I wouldn’t get a kit.

5. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

personally i like to buy it all separately so that i can get better quality equipment and get what i like

6. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

Not all kits are made equal. I'd do a little research on the specific kit you're looking at and see how other's have done with it. If people end up replacing half the equipment, you're probably better off buying everything separately.

7. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

If you have a good local fish some will help you build a qood quality setup at a discount beings your buying everything at once. My 75 gallon was a complete setup on their showroom floor. It was probably the best of everything but it hurt my pocket. Lol

8. OP
    OP
    Thetropical490

Thetropical490 New Member Member

I do plan to plant it. Also my main goal is to get everything new/ great condition for fresh water fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice