Kio almost died

Discussion in 'Koi' started by Betta Whisperer, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Betta Whisperer

Betta Whisperer Well Known Member Member

Well I got up this morning to go out and feed the pond fish. Oh know!!! the pump stopped running during the night. All fish were at the top gasping for air. My biggest one was lying on her side almost dead. I scooped her up and quuickly took her in the house and put her in the 75 gal. tank with the two Oscars. They looked at her like "What the heck is that thing?"The poor thing is so crowded in there. By afternoon she is all better. Now I just have to figure out how to get her out of the tank to get her back out to the pond. I'll have to get my scuba gear out I guess.

First picture is when I first brought her in
    124.jpg

Second is when she is much better.
    125.jpg

2. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Oh, no! How do you acclimate such a big fish back into the pond?

3. OP
    OP
    Betta Whisperer

LOL Very carefully. Actually I haven't figured that out yet.

4. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Good thing you discovered her in time!

ha ha... I love the look on the oscar's faces!--what the heck is that thing doing in our tank??

5. OP
    OP
    Betta Whisperer

Yeah but ya know animals can sence things. They kept following her around like they wanted to help her. They never tride to nip her or anything. That was my biggest fear when I put her in with them but I had to try cause I had to get her out of that pond.

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Bless her heart! I'm glad she's feeling better.

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

That look says... That's WAAAAY to big to eat :)
    Glad she's better.
    Carol

8. OP
    OP
    Betta Whisperer

Thanks all. I just put her back out in the pond. Her friends there all came around her to cuddle her. It was so cute.

9. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Thats a sad story with a happy ending. I hope everything goes well. Did you get the pump working again?

10. OP
    OP
    Betta Whisperer

Yes we did. The other fish in the pond seem to be doing OK.

11. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hi whisper :D That is one big mama!!! :D Shes beautiful :)

12. OP
    OP
    Betta Whisperer

Thanks Platy.

13. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

How about put her in a water-filled shopping bag for acclimation? hehe

14. OP
    OP
    Betta Whisperer

Well as it turned out I found a 20gal tupperware thing that I syphoned water from the tank into. Just a few inches so her mouth would be under the water. I got up on a chair and reached into the tank and got hold of her and lifted her out into the tupper.Then with help from my daughter-in-law we carried that out to the pond where I started slowly adding pond water. After about an hour I lifted her out and into the pond where her friends greeted her and seemed glad she was back all in one piece. Happy ending thanks goodness. I just wish I could have weighed her.

15. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Well... you could have while she was in the tupperware box. lol--might have been heavy though. Weigh the box with the fish, then weigh without and there you are. Little late now that she is back in the pond though. Glad it went well :)

16. OP
    OP
    Betta Whisperer

Yes I thought of that but I was in a hurry to get her out of the tank because she was really stressing out. Banging against the tank glass and everything in it.

17. Betta/Horse lover

Betta/Horse lover Well Known Member Member

Im happy she survived.:)

18. OP
    OP
    Betta Whisperer

Unfortunately she just died about a month ago from being egg bound. That's why she looks so big. I had suspected this for about a year but there was nothing I could do to help her. I did an autopsy on her and she was full of brown rotted eggs.

19. Betta/Horse lover

Betta/Horse lover Well Known Member Member

*Gasp*Thats aweful!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice