Kingd’s 10g Pea Puffer Tank

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by KingD, May 27, 2018.

1. KingDFishlore VIPMember

This came a lot sooner than I thought but I was at my LFS and they had them available and I had an open tank so I did it lol. I bought my pea puffers, 3 of them to be exact. I just want to start this to track the progress of the tank. I’m not one to name many of my fish but these guys needed names. Their names were given by my sister and she picked to name them Blossum, Bubbles, and Buttercup, the power PUFF girls lol.

Here’s some insight on the tank. It’s a custom 10g “Breeder” tank that I built. It has a 100watt aqueon heater, a Finnex stingray light and is being filtered with 2 sponge filters. I have eco-complete substrate, along with live plants. Plants include jungle vals, bacopa caroliniana, crypt wendtii, crypt lucens and red tiger lotus bulbs. I want this tank to become a jungle tank. I’d be very happy if the jungle vals took over the back of the tank and the crypt lucens took over the front if tank.

That’s all I can think of right now so here’s pictures of them floating in the tank
    42197258-6C17-4279-8CBD-7DED52AF84AA.jpeg

2. tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Following along to live vicariously through you, lol. Love puffers.

3. KingDFishlore VIPMember

Thanks for following! You and I both! Lol I’ve wanted puffers for a while now so I’m super glad I was able to get them :)

4. RobjocoValued MemberMember

Same! This is on my someday list for sure!

5. KingDFishlore VIPMember

I’ve had these puffers for a day and I’m already loving them soooooo much. They all have different personalities and already recognize me as their owner. Here’s a couple pictures of my biggest Puffer, Blossom.
    58161703-4706-45BB-A7A3-0F9FF4979E38.jpeg9ECBB876-E11E-4D24-9D4D-E02A8BA7DFCB.jpegEE450CB2-7F7A-4E13-B6E2-42C5EEA25857.jpeg

6. tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Gah! Soooo cute! I think puffers will be my 2019 goal.

7. KingDFishlore VIPMember

Thank you! I'd recommend these guys for sure. They're so much fun

8. Dan12boyValued MemberMember

She's so pretty
    I'm with you on this

9. angelfishguppieValued MemberMember

Following, I hope to add a pea puffer tank in the next few months.

10. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

They are so stinkin' cute!!! :joyful::joyful:

Please, tell us more, tell us more! What are they eating? How did you acclimate? Is this the tank you're considering a Chihiros for?

11. BuganjimoWell Known MemberMember

Following! These guys are soo cute.

12. KingDFishlore VIPMember

Thank you! Theses gals are my cutest fish I have lol. They’re so personable my favorite of the 3 is bubbles, she’s the smallest lol.

Right now I’m feeding them small ramshorn snails, bladder/pond snails, blood worms, and live black worms. I got them from my LFS that’s literally 5 blocks from my house so the water parameters were the same. I temp acclimated and then plopped them in the tank (no water from the bag got in my tank). Yes this is the tank I’m looking for the new lighting for. I’m considering either Chihiros or a T5HO light fixture. I found a few options so now I just need to narrow my choices down

13. GamerWell Known MemberMember

Nice! They are always so neat and cute.

14. Asteria_and_RogueWell Known MemberMember

They are adorable! I considered getting a few a while ago but would have had to order them and there was no garentee that they would have been alive from where I saw them... which is sad.

15. bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Like so many responders above, these guys are on my “one day” list. Can u tell more about feeding? Do they need live food daily? Qty? Much work to keep up with their food requirements? Do they take any prepared foods?
    Love the pics!!

16. KingDFishlore VIPMember

Update time!

So it’s been a while, but the puffers are doing well. I did lose one of them a few weeks back, buttercup is the one I lost actually. Blossom and bubbles are doing great tho. Eating like champs! I actually just did a big rescape on their tank.

So before the tank looked like this.... very bland, ugly, just not what I wanted.
    E20E1619-8124-4CE7-80D3-E89EF5134010.jpeg

I ended up doing some changes on my 75 gallon which game me a bunch a plants to work with. I now have a butt load of anubias nana petite on slate, a bunch of bacopa caroliniana, and crypt wendtii red in the puffer tank. Here’s the tank now with all the plants.
    B3FB5DC8-8330-4835-9B08-72EF3093E0AB.jpeg
    E432E6CA-70D2-4760-981C-586EF831ED24.jpeg
    B6ED5250-52C5-4773-A001-25246BD32BF8.jpeg

The anubias has some BBA on it but I’m hoping that with this less powerful light, it will die off (I did soak it with hydrogen peroxide before putting it in the tank. I’m hoping this works out well.

Hey sorry for the super late reply! I feed these girls primary live black worms, but I also feed them ramshorn and bladder snails, and sometimes frozen bloodworms and frozen mysis shrimp. I give them enough until I see their little bellies are nice and full (which doesn’t take much). The only thing I really have to do with them is vacuum up the empty shells after they eat the meat.

17. Pescado_VerdeWell Known MemberMember

Did you change the substrate at some point or is it just the light that gave it the bluish color in the pictures up top?
    I'd actually like to see a full frontal of the tank if you would be so kind, I'm trying to get ideas for my 10 gallon.

18. KingDFishlore VIPMember

The substrate hasn’t changed. Still eco-complete, it just has a layer of brown algae on it now lol. I’m hoping all the extra plants will soak up any extra nutrients.

Here’s a full tank shot, I just took it.
    73247DAC-EA4E-450E-B0D3-0A7E53E3A6C0.jpeg

19. Pescado_VerdeWell Known MemberMember

That's nice, the sponges aren't nearly so noticeable as they were. And I like the statue, very peaceful looking. Who is it?

20. TerabyteWell Known MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice