King Betta And Community Tanks

1. the guy

the guy Valued Member Member

Does anyone have experience with king bettas in community tanks? I feel like it'd be a great centerpiece but I'd hate for it to be a little murder monster. help?

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

King bettas are still betta splendens, they are just bred to be a bit larger than your common betta.

It depends on your fish's personality, some fish will tolerate tank mates and some will not. You can try having the king betta in a community tank but you have to be ready if you have to move him to another tank.

What is your task size by the way? Betta community tanks should be at least 20 gallons.

3. OP
    OP
    the guy

I have a 20 long

4. Cycerath

Cycerath Valued Member Member

i've suggested this before to others but you can try to test your fish if you find out the return policy. there's are definally better tankmates then others but even so people succeed with non standard mates. for instance, he might attack snails/shrimp but leave guppies alone. alot seems to come down to trial, error and it's own unique personality. floating the bag to acclimate them and seeing how your betta reacts gives you a way to judge before risking any life.

5. OP
    OP
    the guy

Yeah I agree. As silly as it sounds I'm most worried about him killing my amanos over anything. I'm also just worried about his temperament changing later too