Kinda funny

1. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I was at my parents' house today, watching my brother.
    He's sick, can't be left alone, and Mom had some errands to run. Yesterday, he came home from work after a crying episode (it's the clearest way he can tell people that something's wrong), but couldn't tell us precisely what was wrong. Same thing happened today.
    Both days, after taking some ibuprofen, he was feeling well enough to do his "jobs" (household chores... the guy is the ultimate housekeeper), and Mom and I had to be very firm with explaining to him that he had to take it easy and rest.
    Today, we made a deal that I would take the garbage out and he'd be able to do all of his inside jobs.
    At 2:45, he asked for more drugs (another clear sign that he's sick).
    At 3:30, he was walking through the kitchen, stopped, and stared out the window at the falling snow.
    I told him that he wasn't going outside, that Mom and Dad would do the shoveling tonight, and he seemed okay.
    Fifteen minutes later, he was laying on the couch, crying and holding his head. He said "I want my mom" and wouldn't say anything else. I called Mom and she came home.
    Once she was home, he was more talkative, and when we asked him what had been wrong, he said that he was mad that I wouldn't let him shovel, and he thought Mom would let him do it. Mom told him that he could be mad at me all he wanted, and that he could be mad at her and even the whole world if he wanted, but he wasn't going outside. That made him pretty ticked off.
    In the end, Mom had to let him help put the groceries away to get him to calm down.
    Thankfully, my brother is fairly easily manipulated, and he's not as obsessive about shoveling as he is about putting the dishes away (he once went on a weekend vacation when the dishwasher was full... it ruined his entire weekend).

But seriously, how many people have their brother get mad at them for not letting the guy do yardwork?

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Lol, I wish I had a sibling willing to shovel!! :)

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Wow, I wish my sisters were like that

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

pretty funny. how old is he? older or younger?

5. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

He's 29. Due to Ring 22 Syndrome (a genetic disorder in which the 22nd chromosome is looped around like a ring), he is developmentally challenged, however.

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Poor guy, it must be really hard for him when things aren't 'just right' and he's not able to make it right because he's been sick.
    He's lucky to have such an understanding brother like you as I'm sure you feel lucky to have him. :)

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

he sounds pretty awesome. Takes his responsibilities very seriously

8. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, he's great, and it does really suck for him when he can't control the things that his obsession has focused on.
    We've got a really fine balancing act to play, letting him do what he thinks needs to be done, but changing his schedule up in such a way that it slows the progression of the OCD. It's a Catch 22; If we allow his obsessions to run unchecked, they will solidify and grow. If we try to stop them, there will be backlash. In some cases, this backlash can be actively self-destructive.
    Still, it could all be much worse. He doesn't have hand-washing OCD, or anything that keeps him awake at night, or any other really bad tendencies. It mostly centers around cleaning, and is a daily schedule, rather than a severely repetitive process.

9. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

If you gave him a fish tank, the fish in it would probably have perfect water

10. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

...or die of overfeeding in a week... or starve to death.
    His treatment of animals is spotty. He doesn't watch birds, but he compulsively feeds them at my parents' house. Even if a feeder is filled to the top, he'll fill it more.
    Conversely, he won't feed my parents' dog or cats, no matter what. He just doesn't care.

11. scatty Member Member

I didn't realise that OCD could get worse if obsessions go unchecked. Do you know if this is specific to your brother's syndrome, or if this applies to OCD in general? Don't mean to hijack the thread, just very interested as I have a friend who has a 13 yr old son severely afflicted with OCD (among other things). Your brother sounds gorgeous, and very lucky to have a loving family.

12. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

wow, your brother must've been frustrated, i know i would have been LOL

i do some of the housework and boy its tough, my respect :) its cool how you're all patient about it and willing to help him :)

13. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

This isn't limited to my brother's syndrome, as I've seen it happen with others. However, I don't know whether this is the same with everyone.
    It may also be a matter of perception. With my brother, the change in effect on his life is obvious when he stops going out because he's doing too many chores. With others, it may be less obvious if their obsessions don't interfere wil life as much, or, conversely, if their obsessions already greatly interfere with their life.

14. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I like the way he wanted your mother to come home because he thought she'd let him shovel the snow. That's cute.

It's obvious you have a very loving and close family. That's awesome and it's wonderful that you all can work together to help each other.