Kinda Exciting Kinda Scary - Molly Fry?

wintermute

Active Member
Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
172
Location
Sydney
Experience
More than 10 years
This morning I spotted two fry in the tank! I'm assuming they are mollies. I saw one of the females just hanging around in the cave (which is not normal behaviour, and wodered if she was giving birth.

The LFS said they would definitely breed, but that more than likely the parents would eat the fry.... I never had any fry from my 20+ years of goldfish. I thought ok so the fry become some live food, but they are so cute! I'm not really wanting to breed fish, I guess I'll see if they survive. If they do though I will need a plan on what to do with them. I will probably check if the LFS will take them.

I do have my old (I think 30L) tank. I could resurrect it as a fry tank. I'm a bit worried because I read a post this morning in the molly sub-forum (funnily enough before I had spotted the fry) where someone started with 5 mollies and now has over 100!

Tony.
 

CMB

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,047
Reaction score
721
Experience
1 year
If you really want to raise the fry, you could get a little breeder net for in the tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
wintermute

wintermute

Active Member
Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
172
Location
Sydney
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I have seen those in others tank pictures. I think I need to make sure I have something I can do with them before I go down that route though!! The espeI rasboras are too small to eat them, but I saw a KhulI loach have a go at one this morning! I'm not sure how many there are/were, only saw two at any one time, I'm assuming that the adult mollies ate the rest. I've seen them go for them, but the ones that are left are lightning fast. I guess natural selection in action!

Tony.

Here is a video my daughter shot. The focus is a bit dodgy in parts they do start to move around after a bit.


Tony.
 

CMB

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,047
Reaction score
721
Experience
1 year
wintermute said:
Here is a video my daughter shot. The focus is a bit dodgy in parts they do start to move around after a bit.


Tony.
Yeah, I can see those fry. They're rather cute, they look kind of like tadpoles.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
wintermute

wintermute

Active Member
Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
172
Location
Sydney
Experience
More than 10 years
OK so a small update. I hadn't seen any of the fry for quite a few hours, and my daughter thought they must have been eaten, then she spotted one near where the powehead attaches into the hood of my aquarium. A closer inspection and there seemed to be no less than 7 fry in the area! I lifted the lid for the box filter and there were three in the small cavity that the powerhead snaps into. attached is a shot of two that were hanging out behind my Fluval U2. I then saw one at the back of the tank just casually swimming beside some val, and another one eating algae off the side of my U2 filter (right beside one of the slots for the water intake).

Seems there are plenty of hiding places in my tank. I fear I may have a molly explosion on my hands! I think that the four that I have makes up for close to 50% of my tanks bio-load capacity!

Picture attached of two fry behind the U2.

?temp_hash=522e64918098bf4ad29fc0fbfd9a0091.jpg


another hidy hole
?temp_hash=522e64918098bf4ad29fc0fbfd9a0091.jpg

and the ultimate refuge spot!
?temp_hash=522e64918098bf4ad29fc0fbfd9a0091.jpg


Tony.
 

Attachments

Peter M

Active Member
Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
49
Experience
2 years
This same thing happened to me a while back. I kinda had a similar philosophy: if any manage to make it, they're worth keeping. Unfortunately, none made it because the one that managed to get somewhat good sized was somehow lost in translation when I had to move the tank.

And I do agree, I bet your mollies are at least 50% of your bio load, so you def wanna be conscientious of that. How big is the tank? I don't think 1-2 more adults in a well established tank would push you over the edge, but any more than that might.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
wintermute

wintermute

Active Member
Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
172
Location
Sydney
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank is 90L (about 24G) surface area is 60cm X 36CM (24" X 14")

I've also got 6 espeI rasboras (small) and 5 khulI loaches (which apparently are a light bio-load) so I think more mollies will not be such a good idea. But I'll see how it progresses!

Tony.

OK so I thought I'd post an update. As far as I can tell there are at least 10 fry. I think they are growing. I have done nothing special at all, let them fend for themselves. Well I guess I did grind up some of the flake food a bit finer than I normally would, but that is it.

I think if these guys survive they are going to be some tough little molly's! I've seen them being chased around the tank by the other mollies, but they are too fast for them. It would only be if they got snuck up on they would be eaten.

1st pic was taken last night, just the aquarium light shining through the fry. This is where most of them like to hang out, though there are a few more adventurous ones that roam pretty much everywhere in the tank.
?temp_hash=bb003e31ece63cce0c4fda1212977c2d.jpg

The second pic was taken tonight with the flash. I think they are bigger.... maybe not.
?temp_hash=bb003e31ece63cce0c4fda1212977c2d.jpg


third pic is just a full resolution crop of the picture above (which was already a crop).
?temp_hash=bb003e31ece63cce0c4fda1212977c2d.jpg


So at this point I'm thinking the chances of a few of these guys surviving is increasing quite a bit. I think on the weekend I'll need to make enquires at the LFS about whether they take donations

Tony.

OK nine days later two of the fry are still with us it was pretty much overnight that the numbers went from around ten to just two. I think they started getting a bit too game and made a nice snack for some of the bigger tank mates (almost certainly the full size molly's) But these two that are left are growing quite a bit. They look much more like fish now.

They swim around the tank and the other molly's seem to ignore them now. I suspect they have reached a size where they don't see them as food any more.

Here is a picture taken last night
?temp_hash=a7192b033b252c25cac53d15257c44f3.jpg

Tony
 

Attachments

CMB

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,047
Reaction score
721
Experience
1 year
wintermute said:
OK nine days later two of the fry are still with us it was pretty much overnight that the numbers went from around ten to just two. I think they started getting a bit too game and made a nice snack for some of the bigger tank mates (almost certainly the full size molly's) But these two that are left are growing quite a bit. They look much more like fish now.

They swim around the tank and the other molly's seem to ignore them now. I suspect they have reached a size where they don't see them as food any more.

Here is a picture taken last night
?temp_hash=a7192b033b252c25cac53d15257c44f3.jpg

Tony
How exciting! If you've just got the two, that's a perfect number to teach adulthood without taking over the tank. Good luck with them, I hope the make it!
 

ShamFish97

Active Member
Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
87
Location
Waukesha, WI
Experience
2 years
Hey Tony! Love your fish. If you haven't, and want to continue with the fry, make sure you get some plant life for them to hide in! I'm going to be putting some wire in a circular shape in my molly tank soon, so fry can swim to the fenced in area to avoid being eaten by adult mollies. I'm nearing 100 fry, all different sizes. You just keep on finding them over time if your tank is well decorated!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
wintermute

wintermute

Active Member
Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
172
Location
Sydney
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh they do have plants Not a huge number, but I think they have been one of the main sources of food for them (and good for hiding). They eat the algae off them.

Here is a picture showing the whole tank. I don't think either of the two remaining fry are visible in it. I think there are two, that's the most I have seen at any one time, but I guess there still could be more. two's ok. 100 and I'd be having a heart attack
?temp_hash=dcd96752cbc6e3e46f8098798ad69c6d.jpg


Tony.
 

Attachments

ShamFish97

Active Member
Member
Messages
228
Reaction score
87
Location
Waukesha, WI
Experience
2 years
wintermute said:
Oh they do have plants Not a huge number, but I think they have been one of the main sources of food for them (and good for hiding). They eat the algae off them.

Here is a picture showing the whole tank. I don't think either of the two remaining fry are visible in it. I think there are two, that's the most I have seen at any one time, but I guess there still could be more. two's ok. 100 and I'd be having a heart attack
?temp_hash=dcd96752cbc6e3e46f8098798ad69c6d.jpg


Tony.
Get ready for more.. lol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
wintermute

wintermute

Active Member
Member
Messages
212
Reaction score
172
Location
Sydney
Experience
More than 10 years
Your timing couldn't be better! I got home tonight and noticed something moving at the surface. Put on my glasses and there were a bunch of new fry. My daughter calls out and tells me she counted 14.

I really didn't plan on going into the molly breeding business!

Tony.

Another batch of fry last night The two from the original batch that managed to avoid being eaten are growing. As are I think a few from the second batch. Some pictures.
?temp_hash=e776503be4a531136eb03e4bdac3301a.jpg

?temp_hash=e776503be4a531136eb03e4bdac3301a.jpg

?temp_hash=e776503be4a531136eb03e4bdac3301a.jpg

?temp_hash=e776503be4a531136eb03e4bdac3301a.jpg


Tony.
 

Attachments

CMB

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,047
Reaction score
721
Experience
1 year
That's so cute, they look like minI fish!!!! I've never had any make it that far, best of luck with these guys.
 

NC122606

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,057
Reaction score
1,822
Location
Ohio, USA
Experience
1 year
wintermute said:
This morning I spotted two fry in the tank! I'm assuming they are mollies. I saw one of the females just hanging around in the cave (which is not normal behaviour, and wodered if she was giving birth.

The LFS said they would definitely breed, but that more than likely the parents would eat the fry.... I never had any fry from my 20+ years of goldfish. I thought ok so the fry become some live food, but they are so cute! I'm not really wanting to breed fish, I guess I'll see if they survive. If they do though I will need a plan on what to do with them. I will probably check if the LFS will take them.

I do have my old (I think 30L) tank. I could resurrect it as a fry tank. I'm a bit worried because I read a post this morning in the molly sub-forum (funnily enough before I had spotted the fry) where someone started with 5 mollies and now has over 100!

Tony.
Yeah... Something happened to mine, not going to say who did it but I am just saying.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
209
Guests online
2,590
Total visitors
2,799

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom