Kinda A Strange Question...

avaladon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm currently in college and have my betta here with me. We have routine fire drills in the dorms a few times a year, and I am curious, would the fire alarm scare my fish? Like, should this worry me at all? Anything I can do to possibly prepare something that would help him feel safer if I know we are going to have one?

Thanks!

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your fish doesn't care about the fire alarm. He probably gets startled when everyone goes stomping around, shaking his tank. But the stress is just momentary, nothing to worry about.

WTFish?

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it’s a good question. I’m sure vibrations may startle a few short moments but that should be it. Just give a nice treat after

Kysarkel000

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm in college too and we have fire drills, but my fish are perfectly oblivious to the alarm.

I'm just curious, what can one do to save their fish in the event of a fire?? I always have a 1.5g jug with a funnel and oxygen tabs ready sitting next to my tank in the case of emergency. But I'm doubtful that I could catch all my fish and get them into the jug in enough time...

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When we had a chimney fire wife grabbed the dogs and yelled for the kids. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and the fish were on their own. Things happen so fast there is no time to play around and try to catch fish.

James17

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Just my stupid opinion, if there were a fire in the building get out save yourself the fish can be replaced, You Cannot...

OP
avaladon

avaladon

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
James17 said:
Just my stupid opinion, if there were a fire in the building get out save yourself the fish can be replaced, You Cannot...
oh no I know that! I'm just talking about for fire drills, since there is not actual danger!

david1978 said:
When we had a chimney fire wife grabbed the dogs and yelled for the kids. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and the fish were on their own. Things happen so fast there is no time to play around and try to catch fish.
I'm just talking about fire drills because theyre loud and not a real danger!

Kysarkel000 said:
I'm in college too and we have fire drills, but my fish are perfectly oblivious to the alarm.

I'm just curious, what can one do to save their fish in the event of a fire?? I always have a 1.5g jug with a funnel and oxygen tabs ready sitting next to my tank in the case of emergency. But I'm doubtful that I could catch all my fish and get them into the jug in enough time...
heh I maybe just scoop them into a big water bottle! that's what I would do if there was a real emergency, and if I had time to get my fish!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would have a tupperware container dedicated to him for scooping and running, easier than a bottle to get him in and can be sealed for a few hours - that way it can go into a bag or something similar to prevent him from being dropped.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The OP is literally just asking if the fish is being stressed by the fire drills...

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
junebug said:
The OP is literally just asking if the fish is being stressed by the fire drills...
And I was addressing another thought OP had, my fish haven't reacted to loud music or screaming nieces, they react to vibration and sudden movements near their tanks though.

New Threads