Killlifish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by fishcrazy99, Aug 7, 2015.

1. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

So I really love killifish and I was wondering about getting some into my 20 gallon. They would have to be compatible with my other fish obviously and I would prefer a species that will eat flake fine and will be easy to order online ( not hard to find). Not sure if this list is impossible lol.
    Tank info
    20 gallon
    light to medium planting
    1 german ram
    3 peacock gudgeons
    1 ghost shrimp
    5 danio rerio (one died a few week ago, possibly old age, some kind of tumor)
    2 nerite snail

I might rehome the danios soon because they have become very aggressive towards each other to a point where the dominate one is stressing out the others badly.
    Killifish must be colorful and at least mostly peaceful. I dont mind having one or many. I just want to collect one of these guys :)
    Thanks for your help in advance

edit: Saw these online, are these a bad idea?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252031209219?lpid=82&chn=ps

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Is this a 20 high or a 20 long?

3. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

pretty sure its a high. Its about 16.5 inches high.

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't add killifish, you already have enough centerpiece fish, imo.
    To replace the danios make sure you get something that can handle the high temps rams need, like cardinal or black neon tetras (not neons, they need cooler water).

5. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

I really want the killifish. This tank doesnt have to be set up to be appealing to the eye to where its balanced and what not. This tank is mine for the purpose of collecting beautiful fish and enjoying looking at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

If you set up a smaller (5-10g) tank, there will be plenty of killifish that will work. I would just do that, as killifish can be iffy in community tanks, or so I have read.
    If you want a killi in this community I would do a golden wonder killifish.

7. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

I have a 6 gallon that i havent set up yet. Could i do bluefin nothos in that? Would i be only limited to one species and probably only a few fish? A golden wonders not really what i was going for as far as color.

8. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

EricV should be able to help you with those questions, he's the killi expert here....

9. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

As far as the 20 goes you dont think i could do any of the killis i linked in the OP?

10. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

The hatch kit? Not sure....

11. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

You don't want to do the hatch kit. Those are annual killifish, as in they live about a year. In some cases they can go longer, but two years would be near a record lifespan. Not to mention, you have to raise the fry from a hatch kit. That can take a few months, and by the time they're big enough to put in the tank, they would only have a few more months to live.

Golden Wonder would be a bad idea due to their aggressive nature. They are mean, nasty, and predatory. This fish can get over 4" in length.

There are killies that might do all right in your tank. You might want to find some of the smaller Lampeyes, they school and would make a great replacement for the Danios. They can be difficult to source, though they do appear occasionally in stores.

If you want a more typical Killifish, I think Aphyosemion australe would get along with your current stock. They used to be fairly available, but I think it should be possible to find those online. Another would be Fundulopanchax scheeli, if you prefer something in blue-green. It's a slightly smaller relative of gardneri, and more peaceful than that species. They also are usually available online.

I could run through a couple hundred less common species, but these would be your best chance.

12. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

Thank you so much, your reply was very helpful. The lyretail you mentioned i like very much but cant find any places to buy them. What about the species pictured below? I love the look of them but im not sure i can find a listing for one thats close enough to not have to air mail it. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439072341.335847.jpg

13. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

They can be shipped Priority mail without problems, it's done all the time. Properly packed, they can live for a week in the bags.

Gardneri can be a bit large for fish like the Peacock Gudgeons to deal with, and the PG have an awfully similar color pattern, as someone else on the forum pointed out to me recently. The male killifish might get territorial toward fish that look so much like him.

You might want to look at what's available on Aquabid. You may find a number of less common species there that would be more appropriate. Wet Spot has Gold and Chocolate Australe listed on Aquabid, and there are less common species, such as A. cognatum available. The gardneri is listed cheaper there than on Ebay, too, if your heart is set on that.

14. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

Do you think i would experience less problems if i got this golden variety? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439085787.548083.jpg
    That is for a trio, would it be too much to do a trio. Ordering on ebay from across the us they will only do the air mail. They wont let you choose shipping and if they did they probably wouldn't guarantee them

15. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

That looks like EricV 's profile pic. Are those your fish Eric? You have a thread going for a trio for sale, right?

16. EricVFishlore VIPMember

Lol that's my eBay listing

17. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

Lol! I would have ordered them already if this guy would pay me already lol. I love everything about it. Think they would work in my set up? I really like them and really want them so im just waiting for someone to tell me they will work in my set up to get them lol

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439088284.485982.jpg
    Not too much planting now but thats just because i cant really figure out where to put them >.< anywhere i put something it blocks light to another. This tank also supplies my aquaponic herb garden with water.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  18. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

Anyone know about the compatibility of this stocking?

19. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

ended up ordering some Fundulopanchax scheeli because i wasnt really getting any responses :p it think i will be very happy with these guys. Thanks for the help. I ended up getting two pairs. Hopefully they will all do well together.

20. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice