Killing Snail Eggs and Cycling with or without plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by orangeclumsy1, Dec 12, 2012.

1. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

I'm going to start up a 29 gallons setup later on, but the place that I'm wanting to buy plants from keeps the snails in the same tank. Is there any way for me to safely kill the snail eggs that are on the plants without harming my fish? And should I cycle my tank with the live plants, or wait until my tank is cycled to add plants? I'm buying a small tank setup tonight for my betta, and I'm hoping to get a live plant or two, so responses before 3:00PM EST. would be great. ;)

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Put your plants in asap so they can attach themselves to ornaments or the substrate. As for snail eggs, try using a bleach solution. Some people on here use it. I don't know the measurements so be VERY CAREFUL before doing it, and rinse your plants very thoroughly afterwards. My LFS sells anti snail products.

3. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Okay, I think I'll do that then.

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Potassium permanganate is my suggestion, it seems to be the most effective and least harsh of the common treatments. Here's a link with more info, I believe it can be had in jungle brand 'clear water' if you can't find the actual chemical itself.  

5. Y

It is nly like 5% bleach or less. Too much will just fry your plants amd fish. Remember to rinse well before you put them.in the tank.

6. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Are these long-term things? I'm planning on having Mystery Snails later on, but I don't want the annoying little unidentified snails that come on the plants. I've heard somewhere else to mix 19:1 parts water to bleach, leave submersed for a minute or so, remove and then rinse thoroughly. If I do this, (BEFORE cycling) will it kill off snail eggs and/or baby snails effectively without harming my plants or fish in the future? And will it be safe to add mystery snails in a month or so?

7. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

I wash the plants under water and the remove all snail eggs i can see but that always leaves a few. Ive heard a few minutes in vinegar helps but bleach siunds better.

8. jetajockey

The only long-term treatment to be worried about is a copper dip.

9. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Okay, I think I'll probably go with the bleach JUST to be safe! I'll also try to remove eggs from sigh before and after the dip, just in case. thanks guys!

10. Y

Yes, that will.work. And do it before they go.in the tank so no bbleach gets in. and it will be fine for when you want snails. It will only kill the ones when it is in direct contact with bleach.

P.S. Kn my phone, sorry for typos.

11. jetajockey

Just remember that a bleach dip can also nuke your plants if you aren't careful, some are more sensitive than others.

12. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

I'll research each plant before dipping. :) Thanks guys!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice