Killing my Wisteria

1. C

Captain Unusual Valued Member Member

I posted a thread a few months ago about my Wisteria growing really slowly, turns out I was using the wrong type of lights. But now I have 2 13w fluorescent bulbs, and dose with Flourish every 5 days. My moss has been growing like mad, but my Wisteria has just been slowly falling apart. I had a couple stems planted, and a couple floating for my gourami to hide in. They all started exploding with roots and tendrils when I upgraded my lights, but they never really started growing new leaves, and now they're pretty much all dead.

What am I doing wrong? I've got moss and...some crypt, I don't remember which kind, growing in there fine. What am I doing that's killing the wisteria? Isn't it supposed to be idiot-proof?

2. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

Flourish in itself is misleading. It is nothing more than a bunch of trace and micro elements. You should also use Nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus which are the macro nutrients.
    Also, if you bury the Wisteria then it needs root fertilizer and water column Ferts. Floating, it takes the Ferts from the water.

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    C

The buried ones were right next to a root tab.

And is Wisteria supposed to even need the extra ferts?

Advertisement

4. atc84

atc84 Well Known Member Member

How well stocked is the tank the wisteria is in? maybe add a picture of the wisteria, maybe i can tell what deficiency it is. It's probably nitrogen, try adding more fish food.

5. Jim

Hey Captain, I left you hanging. let's start again..wisteria is easy to grow so...a few questions....
    What size tank?
    What is the bulb rating? for example, 3200 kelvin, 6500 Kelvin?
    What is your substrate? Sand, gravel, bare
    What Ferts do you use?
    Is the Wisteria floating or buried
    Sorry for the questions, but your profile is not filled out and I don't know - what you know and how deep into the hobby you are.

6. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank do you have? Water Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) needs moderate light to grow nicely when planted in the substrate with balanced water column ferts. If its falling apart it could be due to lighting. Make sure you have daylight bulbs; 6500K. In low-light setups it dose better floating; closer to the light. It can struggle a bit in poor lighting.

Edit: forgot to mention that when changes are made it can take a few weeks for the plants to respond. The dying leaves will not repair themselves. You look for new healthy growth and remove the unhealthy stems/leaves.

7. OP
    OP
    C

The tank is 10 gallons. The bulbs are daylight, 6500k. Substrate is gravel, with some stalks floating and some buried. The tank is a bit overstocked, but ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 and nitrate stays below 20ppm. Only ferts are Flourish, and the root tab that some was buried with.

8. Jim

Captain, the only things I see missing are the lighting period each day. Are you keeping the lights on at least 8 hours? The second is what I mentioned above, try adding some nitrogen to your water. Other than that, I am at a loss

9. OP
    OP
    C

Sorry, yeah, lights are on for around 12 hours each day. And I'll look into that, see what to add and what it'll do.

So, uh, are there any other similar plants that are a bit more idiot-proof? I had anacharis in there a while ago, but took it out, since it would occasionally turn all yellow and spray fallen leaves everywhere and I got tired of it. Any other good stalk plants that can preferably handle being left floating?

10. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Are you looking for taller plants or more foreground plants? I really like cryptocoryne spiralis for a background plant with cryptocoryne parva in the forground. Mine are thriving with nothing but root tabs, flourish, and low light. As with most crypts, transplanting them (or introducing them to your new tank) tends to cause some melting, but they should bounce back after trimming away the melt.

11. Jim

To me wisteria is the easiest. For pure floating try Frogbit . How about a small piece of driftwood and a Java fern for low light ground plants.

12. OP
    OP
    C

I was looking for preferably a floating plant, since my fish and shrimp like to hang around in floating things near the surface. Though maybe something tall with wide leaves would work.

I actually do have a java fern attached to a hunk of wood. I got it half a year ago and I don't know if it's grown at all since then, but at least it hasn't withered away.

13. Jim

My Frogbit actually has 2 inch roots hangng from it.

14. g

guthrieb08 Valued Member Member

Where did you get your frog bit i have been looking all around for it in all the LFS's and nothing. i guess im going to have to order it offline. i was just wondering where you acquired yours?

15. Jim

On line; get the smallest amount for the cheapest price available. The stuff spreads like wildfire given the correct water parameters.

16. g

guthrieb08 Valued Member Member

thats what i have read i have a LFS looking to see if he can find some for me. that way i dont have to order it.

Advertisement