Killifish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Comet-Aurum, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Comet-Aurum

Comet-Aurum Valued Member Member

hey
    question:
    1 can I have a killifish?
    2 are they ok alone or do they need other fish with them?
    3 are they ok in a 10 gal?
    4 are they ok with shrimp in the tank with them?
    5 are they freshwater or saltwater?
    6 how many killifish can I have in a 10 gal?
    I've seen photos of them and they look cool and sound like the can be in a home aquarium...

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

1) Yes, you can.
    2) They can be alone.
    3) I am not sure, but I say yes.
    4) I would not say so.
    5) Freshwater.
    6) Probably just a single killifish.

3. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

There are many species of killifish out there, some are brackish but the majority seem to be freshwater. Smaller species will do just fine in a 10gal where as the species that get over 2in should be in a larger tank. They can be with other fish, but they must be temperature and temperament compatible, plus the tank must be large enough to comfortably keep all species. Unfortunately a tiny 10gal doesn't make for much of a community tank, there are some options but they are limited. The larger species of killifish will eat shrimp, but I the smaller shouldn't bother them too much and if you get larger species of shrimp (amano, ghost) they should be ok.

You can keep them alone, in pairs, or in harems (1 male to several females), depending on species.

I have a single female killi (no idea on species) that is about 2-2.5in long and she's in a lightly planted 10gal with a handful of amano and cherry shrimp. So far she's been well behaved, but likes to jump. Keep a lid on the tank, cover any small openings.

If you are wanting to have several killifish in a 10gal, look into the Least killifish. These guys are small and behave much like guppies in that they are livebearers.

4. OP
    OP
    Comet-Aurum

how large of a tank and what killifish do you suggest for me?
    I was planning on getting a freshwater killifish if possible.
    (and sorry I have not replied for a while I have been really busy)

5. BaraYoukai

BaraYoukai Valued Member Member

If you get a Japanese verity of Killifish (Medaka) They don's seem to grow that big. When I lived in Shikoku, Japan nearly everyone had some and in pretty small containers too...the smallest I saw a community living in was a gallon. I am sure they would have loved more water but they were breeding and there weren't any dead ones. They were normally outside fish in Japan, kept on the patio.

Says a recommended minimum size for this verity of Japanese Medaka is 10 gallons with 20 gallons for a larger school.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    Comet-Aurum

cool they look so cute :D
    and so small its so funny
    do they need a school or are they cool alone?

love your photo btw

and a friend of mine said that banded lampeye killifish need large groups and need 30 gals is that true?
    I kinda doubt it

also is a nothos killifish a good one or is that a no?
    ive heard of them I think they are cool.

7. A

AGB New Member Member

1) Medaka's need schools
    2) You need at least 5 but 6 would be better
    3) I would say so, but only get a m/f pair

8. BaraYoukai

Thank you very much! I actually took this picture in Japan last year :shame: The pond in the backdrop was filled with hundreds of koi. <3

Don't they? The youkihi medaka remind me of little baby goldfish. ( ) I just about die every time I see them, lol.
    Everything I've read and seen agrees with AGB's recommendation of 5-6 fish. I have seen them chaise each other around so I am assuming they recommend this to avoid stressing out a single fish too much.
    Both the banded lampeye killifish and the nothos killifish are originally from Africa instead of Asia so I am not entirely sure how they differ. It's quite possible they have different needs than Asian killifish. They are super cute though. The nothos one is so colorful!!!

9. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Medaka is a Rice Fish, not a Killifish. Rice Fish are related to needlefish, Killies are related to our aquarium livebearers. They behave similarly and look similar because of parallel evolution. Both types fill a similar niche in different parts of the world. A very popular species of Rice Fish these days is Daisy's Rice Fish, Oryzias woworae. Stays smaller than a Medaka. Nice schooling types.

Unsure what a "banded Lampeye" would be. My first thought was Epiplatys annulatus, aka the Clown Killie, but that certainly does not require a school, or a 30 gallon tank.

Nothobranchius
    are a genus of 75-80 annual species mostly from East Africa, and are very short lived. In the wild, they are born, mature, and breed in less than a year. Their habitat dries up, and the eggs hatch when the rains come again. Because of this short life, male Nothos are very aggressive about breeding. Not a good choice for a first killie.

10. BaraYoukai

Good to know! I had seen them referred to as killifish before and assumed they were in a similar sub catagory.

11. OP
    OP
    Comet-Aurum

really?
    the pond in the background is a koi pond??
    I love koi they are one of my favorite fish.

12. OP
    OP
    Comet-Aurum

is a red-throated panchax a killi?
    change of plan I can't have a second tank but can use my 40 gal.
    would this species work?
    fish in 40 gal:
    5 guppies
    2 nerite snails
    3 zebra danios
    4 corydoras (planning to get more)
    1 bristle nose pleco
    test results:
    p.h: 6.0
    ammonia: 0
    nitrites: 0
    nitrates: 0.5
    would this killi be alright in this tank?

13. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Red Throated Panchax, probably Epiplatys dageti. Used to be called the Fire Chin Killie. I'd say they would get along with what you have there. Tough fish, very easy to keep and breed. Not at all picky about water parameters or food.

14. BaraYoukai

Yup! I agree they are so cute! The garden used to be owned by a Japanese lord who used it as a peaceful place to write poetry. It had a little house overlooking the koi pond to gain inspiration. It was very peaceful and beautiful.

15. OP
    OP
    Comet-Aurum

who knew the Japanese were so poetic. :D
    anyway I will plan to get a red throated panchax.
    and possible some Japanese rice fish in the future.
    thank you all SO much for all this great info!!
    I will look forward to it and use it well.
    again thank you!!
    :D:D:D

16. OP
    OP
    Comet-Aurum

just one more question does a red throated panchax require groups?
    and where can I find some healthy panchax for sale?
    also how many fish should be in the group?

also is a clown killifish good too?
    they look cool as well.

and is eBay cool to order killifish live?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice