Killifish water hardness tolerance

RomanNoodles96

I have been researching killifish and am interested in adding some to my 29 gallon. I have looked at several websites and some they can tolerate very hard water while others say 4 gh is the cut off. My gh is 10-12 so my water is decently hard, but not extremely. Would killifish work in this hardness? Is there any reasons why they aren't a popular fish in the hobby? Neither of my LFS or big chain stores carry them.

chromedome52

There are about 2,000 species of Killifish. They run the gamut from salt water to super soft, super acid forest puddles. They run from 3/4 of an inch fully grown to over a foot in length. They are not popular with commercial sources because they have a certain reputation for sensitivity and not being very prolific. While there are some genuinely touchy species, most are not that picky. However, they truly are not prolific species, which makes them a poor commercial aquarium fish. Most cannot be easily collected in large numbers, either, as they tend to live more isolated than other fishes.

If you really wish to research Killifish, I recommend the American Killifish Association or the British Killifish Association. Both have websites with links to more information.

RomanNoodles96

chromedome52 said:
There are about 2,000 species of Killifish. They run the gamut from salt water to super soft, super acid forest puddles. They run from 3/4 of an inch fully grown to over a foot in length. They are not popular with commercial sources because they have a certain reputation for sensitivity and not being very prolific. While there are some genuinely touchy species, most are not that picky. However, they truly are not prolific species, which makes them a poor commercial aquarium fish. Most cannot be easily collected in large numbers, either, as they tend to live more isolated than other fishes.

If you really wish to research Killifish, I recommend the American Killifish Association or the British Killifish Association. Both have websites with links to more information.
Interesting. I will definitely read up on them using that website. Thank you.

Top Bottom