Killifish Tubular Growth On Eyes

1. josh_dude83

josh_dude83 New Member Member

Hey all. To start, I wanted to say I'll try and post pics today once the aquarium lights come on. I've noticed over the past few days that 2 of my killifish have something going on with their eyes. They are living in an established fish tank. I recently upgraded them to a larger tank and used cycled water and substrate from the tank the were originally in and from one of my older established tanks. So for the most part it's 90% cycled water in there. A few days after setup, tank, plants, substrate, rocks etc., I noticed 2 of them have a growth on their eye. Doesn't look like cloudy eye as its not fuzzy or white. It moreso looks like a part of damages lens with a tubular growth that is white at the tip only. I originally thought it was just eye trauma that might of occurred as they were settling into their new tank . However the long tubular part coming off their eye has gotten longer and turned white. If you look at the eye it isn't cloudy. Just has a tubular thing in center of eye with white on its tip. So here is the eye as I see it: o)>-- white at the tip of the -.

Any ideas guys? I hate to start dosing with chems. All water parameters are suitable for them. I use the chemical water testers as an fyi. I plan to start doing partial water changes daily and to increase the amount of stress coat for now. I'm fairly new to killifish and have never seen this before. Not sure if it's specific to them or all fish, again as I have never seen this type of issue before.

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I'm not too sure what could be wrong with the fish, but just thought to mention that your cycle lives in your filter...not the water and there is very little in your substrate. I'm not sure if water quality could have caused this, but what are the parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    josh_dude83

The filter media is old as well, forgot to mention. I used some out of another filter that is from an established aquarium.
    ph 6.8
    temp 75
    ammonia 0
    water hardness about 100-120ppm
    aquarium salt about 1 tsp/gallon (typically don't add this much, but treated it with salt due to this issue)

After setting everything up I ran the tank for a few days to let everything balance out before adding the killis. That was a little over a week ago I think last Tuesday. Did the first water change today. Going to try and get a photo now.

Here are some photos. Thanks in advance for any advice.

The white part is long and tubular and moves as the fish swims.

Attached Files:

4. j

jenag145 Valued Member Member

Ate they showing any other signs or symptoms???

5. OP
    OP
    josh_dude83

That's just it. The 2 that are affected are responsive, swim freely, and have a healthy appetite. If it wasn't for the visual cue I would think they are completely healthy fish. They show no other signs of parasitic, fungal, or bacterial complications.

6. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It looks parasitic. Other than that, I do not know what to do.

7. OP
    OP
    josh_dude83

For now I'm going to keep up with the small addition of salt and add garlic to their diet and the tank. We'll see how that goes.